Computer Help forum

General discussion

COMPUTER WANT BOOT U ANY MORE

by lovemonster37 / August 7, 2005 8:15 PM PDT

HELLO: i have a big problem i hope some one out there can help me with on my old computer when i turn it on it goes threw the start up them it keeps trying to start up it gives a error message tells me to try the last known boot that workes like safe but i have tryied them all heres waht it sasy on the eror message. {error a memory module/spd module serial present decet spd devise data is missing or inconclusive proporly programed spd data is required for reliable operation systam can not boot]
heres what i have tryed so far.
1. tryed to reboot in several kind s of way like safe mode etc. 2.pulled memory cards one at a time an swaped them while trying to reboot. 3.tryed to go in set up an make some changes like set back to defoult.
in set up om main it say dram is invalid an it want let me move up to it to try to cahnge that it keeps me down at the bottom were the time an date is i try to push arrows up want do it every were else in set up like botts config etc will let me go up an down an try to make changes but i haved tryed lost of changes it did not work.. I AM LOST HERE IS THERE ANY ONE CAN HELP ME I HAVE A LOT TO LOSE IF THIS WANT REBOOT AGAIN I HAVE MORE COMPUTERS MOST OF THEM NEWER BUT MY IMPORTANT STUFF IS THERE.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME HOPE I HERE FROM SOME ONE.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: COMPUTER WANT BOOT U ANY MORE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: COMPUTER WANT BOOT U ANY MORE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could you take the trouble ...
by Kees Bakker / August 7, 2005 11:10 PM PDT

to type the full error message "error a memory module/spd module serial present decet spd devise data is missing or inconclusive proporly programed spd data is required for reliable operation systam can not boot]" without any typos, and with all capitals, comma's and points included? It takes some care and concentration, maybe, but I'm sure you can do it.

I suppose this message comes from the BIOS? But you say you tried to boot into Safe Mode, and that choice definitely comes a lot later. So can you tell more about that?

It seems some of your memory is invalid or defective. It might be memory itself, or it might be some of the supporting electronics on the motherboard. Try booting with one memory stick only until you find a good one. If none is good, I suspect the mobo. The default BIOS configuration, of course, should work. No need to change that.

Can you try the sticks in one of your other computers? Or do they have a different type of memory?

I don't expect your data on the hard disk to be damaged. Still, if I were you, would buy a cd- or dvd-burner and burn everything to it you don't want to lose.Installing a small home network, so you can copy your 'important stuff' to one of the other computers is a rather good way of backing up the data also.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
SPD is "Serial Presence Detect".
by Ray Harinec / August 8, 2005 12:24 AM PDT

I have no idea why that name, but it is the data contained on the tiny EPROM chip on a memory stick that tells the mobo/system what memory timing to use for that stick of memory.

You may be able to go into the BIOS and disable "Use SPD" and then set the memory parameters manually. Set them to the least demanding speeds as a try. CL [or CAS] 3 is less demanding then CL 2 or 2.5.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sorry Kees, meant to post to love monster.
by Ray Harinec / August 8, 2005 12:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
different solution...
by Dick White / August 8, 2005 2:31 AM PDT

You seem to know a bit about the insides of a computer, or at least you are not afraid of it. Take the old drive out of the computer. Open one of your newer computers and find the IDE cable for its hard drive. If there is only one drive on the cable, you can change the jumper of the old drive to slave and connect it to the unused position on the IDE cable. (You'll also need to hook up the power connector.) Now when you start the new computer, it will detect both drives, set the old drive as drive E:, and you just find your important data files and copy them to the C:drive of the new computer.

If the IDE cable of the new computer services both the hard drive and the CD drive and thus both positions of the cable are occupied, then you'll need to use another IDE cable connected to the secondary IDE channel - and with the jumper on the old hard drive set to master.

HTH
dw

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.