PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Computer Upgrade! // what FPS should I be expecting?

Okay my current PC specs are as followed:

Celeron 2293 MHz 128K Cashe 533 FSB
512 PC2100 DDR RAM
I do have onboard video 64 MB Intel however I made an order which will be here soon one or two days from now for a:
Sparkle 5200 Nvidia 128 MB PCI I didn't have an AGP slot. Sad

Further specs can be seen here ....

http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk/layout.aspx?ID={7288494e-08f3-4e39-b660-3415936f1e83}&CatID={f3c16ff4-9667-4cb1-85be-c2dc0cdbab7b}

I'd like to play Counter-Strike: Source at nice framerate with okay video apart from the Motherboard and video are thier any little upgrades?

I was thinking of poping in another PC2100 512 MB stick of RAM and not too sure on the Processor, 128K of cashe doesn't sound too good.

Could anyone give me some advice?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Upgrade! // what FPS should I be expecting?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Upgrade! // what FPS should I be expecting?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I know how u feel ...

In reply to: Computer Upgrade! // what FPS should I be expecting?

Hey,

I woul ddefinitely put in another 512 or even 256 if it's more economical for you. I wish you had a faster CPU and an AGP slot but I guess you don't.

Tell you what next week I am upgrading to a whole new PC and will have no use for my FX 5500 PCI card and I will send it to you no charge and see if that helps you. I know you are getting a new card and go ahead and use it but I will still send mine to you and see if it gives you better performance. If it does then cool and maybe you can send the other one back and if not well give to a friend or whatever, sell on ebay whatever you want lol. In fact can you use PC2700 in your cpu? I think I will also have an additional 256 DDR PC2700 to send you as well. Nice huh lol. Well I wont need it and seems like you could really use it, so what the heck. That would give you a FX 5500 and addtl 256 MB, that will help some but never bring you to a really nice performance unfortuantely.

You would have to upgrade motherboard (to one with AGP or PCI-Express slot) and cpu (AMD64 are nice :P)then video card (x600,x700pro or 6600gt or similar))to really get off the ground with great performance.

Let me know what you think and if I can help. If not that's cool, I just read your description and felt kinda sorry for ya, no offense.

Good Luck,

SeaninWa

Collapse -
Wow mate?

In reply to: I know how u feel ...

I live over in the UK. Sad

Collapse -
Are you for real?

In reply to: I know how u feel ...

Sure I'd love it ..... I live over in the UK would this be a problem I have looked everywhere in shops for a 5500 or higher but can only get a 5200. Sad

Collapse -
Ya for sure..

In reply to: Are you for real?

Hey,

Ya just email me mybennettfamilyatyahoo.com (the at=@) and next week when my tax refund arrives I will purchase the new system. Then a day or two after, since I will be very busy configuring the new system and working. I will go and see how much to send to you.

Maybe once it arrives there you can send me an international money order for the shipping cost or I have Paypal. Whatever, we will work it out no problem.

I won't be much I don't think. It's not heavy, so it will be pretty reasonable I think. Prolly what 10-12 euros (euros are 1 to 1 dollars right?) or something? Just estimating, not for sure yet of course. I don't want anything for it but I prolly don't want to pay much to give it away LOL Silly

So email me there and we will work out the arrangements Happy

It's only like 6 months old too, so that should be good for you. I would take the RAM too if I were you Silly It's not like it's gonna cost anything extra to send it with the card.

Anyway, talk to you soon.

SeaninWa

Collapse -
re

In reply to: Computer Upgrade! // what FPS should I be expecting?

considering dat u r upgrading from integrated graphics, upgrading to the fx5200, u should see a improvement, not sure how much.

i have an old pIII and i upgraded from integrated graphics to the fx5200 and i could see an improvement with better visuals, and less lag on games. however, dont expect that it can handle everything on high settings. best is probably medium everything and 800x600. also adding more ram is a good idea.

also, i think u already have enough ram. 512 is sufficient.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.