Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer unresponsive after it is idle overnight

by Howmu / November 13, 2010 11:07 PM PST

My 6 year custom built computer has developed a problem I cannot fathom or cure. It seems to be a hardware problem but I am not sure. I run XP sp3 and have only 512 mb of RAM. The computer is rarely shut down and is left on overnight, sometimes on standby or with the monitor screen off. Usually I hit a key in the morning and resume with it just where I left off the night before. Lately when I try to resume in the morning it has become unresonsive. If I click a desktop icon the text disappears from beneath it and there is no other response. Then the text disappears from the other icons and likewise with the Start button. I have to do a manual shutdown by holding down the power button and then when I restart it it works just fine the rest of the day. Does this sound like something is failing in my hardware or could it be a software problem. I have scanned with antispyware and advanced customer care and malware bytes and everything comes up clean. Also Avira scans are clean. As of now I am thinking I may need a new computer but would like to hear opinions from the experts at C-Net before I shop for one.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer unresponsive after it is idle overnight
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer unresponsive after it is idle overnight
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Change from sleep to hibernate.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2010 12:09 AM PST

Troubleshooting sleep is something of an advanced skill. While you can start the research and there is no instant cure, there is a workaround. I do this all the time.

I change the settings from sleep to hibernate. I find it's only a few seconds difference on a good machine.
Bob

Collapse -
Hibernate is not an option on my computer
by Howmu / November 14, 2010 5:30 AM PST

The only options I have are : Standby, Shut down, and Restart. Of course I could shut it down every night but I was trying to avoid the legnthy reboot process (about 6 or 7 minutes on my machine). The other thing I was concerned about is that something is going bad in my hardware. Is this a problem which appears in "dying" computers? It's a problem I never had before with this computer and being six years old I would like to understand what is happening here if anyone can ever really understand what goes on in a computers "brain".

Collapse -
Also, the unresponsiveness
by Howmu / November 14, 2010 5:36 AM PST

occurs when the computer is not put into standby. If I just leave the computer on as is and shut off the monitor the same thing happens overnight. So I don't think it is a satnby problem. I also took off the cover and cleaned it out thinking it might be an overheat problem but it was no help.

Collapse -
We can fix that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2010 6:17 AM PST

Type ENABLE XP HIBERNATION on google and pick the article you like.

I really do understand what's going on in the brain but look at the details and clues about the sleep issue we have to work with. I leave it up to members to supply all the details as this is all volunteer.
Bob

Collapse -
I enabled hibernation
by Howmu / November 14, 2010 10:14 PM PST
In reply to: We can fix that.

as per article from Google, and used it last night. This morning in very little time I was back on line with no problems. I guess that is my solution to my problem, I do thank you for your input and help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!