General discussion

COMPUTER TYPING

I heard that it is possible to connect a typewiter to a computer keyboard. Supposedly, it allows you to type as fast as you can. Does anyone know how it works? What's needed to accomplish this? Is special software needed? What cable connections are required? Lastly, which typewriter models work best? Thanks for any insights.
VAN

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: COMPUTER TYPING
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: COMPUTER TYPING
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: typing

Why do you think typing on a typewriter is faster than on a keyboard for a desktop? And where on the typewriter would you find the home, the delete, the insert, the function keys, the arrows, the Windows key, the ctrl- and alt-key?

Are you sure it wasn't April Fool's day you heard it?

Kees

- Collapse -
Typing

Hi,
Best thing to do is to buy a good keyboard. I have used all kinds of typewriters, but computer keyboard is fastest. There are not so many moving parts Grin

I have used an electric computer with some kind of word processor. And some did even work as printers. But that was in 1980's..

- Collapse -
Heard from who?

Walk up and slap them up-side the head.

- Collapse -
Typewriter hook up

Huh?

- Collapse -
Do you type really fast?

If so, maybe you could dig up an old IBM Selectric that still works. They did have some sort of port but don't know if it was RS232, parallel or maybe even 20 mil current loop but suspect it was for using the typewriter as a printer. I remember them as being fast and almost impossible to jam. You changed typeface by changing the "golf" ball and I even think they got kerning incorporated in these things.

CNET Forums

Forum Info