Desktops forum

General discussion

Computer turned off durring first boot and now wont start up

by Gorthaur / July 22, 2004 6:06 AM PDT

I finished building my computer yesterday but had to go to work so waited untill today to turn it on and when I started it everything worked just fine and it started to boot. I got a message about how one of my IDE cables are too slow for a drive so it would be downgraded in speed. Then it said that a new CPU has been detected press F1 for setup. I pressed F1 and then it just hung there for about 7 seconds and then it just truned off.... I tried to turn it back on but nothing happened... I unplugged it and opened it up and disconnected some case fans thinking that maybe my 450W power supply wasnt good enough and then plugged it back in and turned it on. this time it stared up and was running tests again and gave the same message about the IDE cable and then it just turned off again. the small led light on the motherboard was still on but it wouldnt start up. I found that if I unplug it and then replug it back in I can get it to light up the fan lights for a split second but it wont even start up now... ummmm help?

P4 530 3.0 ghz 775 socket
Motherboard : ASUS P5GD1
2x 512MB DDR 400
radeon rx600 xt
WD special edition 120gb hard drive
Asus 16x dvd rom
lite-on 52x cdrw
4 red led case fans
chiefmax 450w power supply

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer turned off durring first boot and now wont start up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer turned off durring first boot and now wont start up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is there a heatsink and fan on the CPU?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2004 7:43 AM PDT

I must ask this. Not everyone knows how to build a PC.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Is there a heatsink and fan on the CPU?
by Gorthaur / July 22, 2004 8:07 AM PDT

Yes there is. everything I bought came in a sealed retail box except for the hard drive.
The fan works. or it did work when it was working for like 30 seconds untill the whole thing turned off.

Collapse -
Re: Is there a heatsink and fan on the CPU?
by Gorthaur / July 22, 2004 8:13 AM PDT

I built a computer about a year and a half ago and that one worked right the first time.... I am thinking there is something wrong with either the processor or the motherboard. I really hope not though.

Collapse -
Since it just turned off, you need less parts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2004 8:24 AM PDT

The usual gaffe is an extra metal mounting post shorting out the back of the motherboard. Check your work.

Next I strip it down to just Power Supply and motherboard and NO CPU, nothing else. It will power up or you are looking at the two possible bad parts.

I hope you didn't take my first question too badly. One must ask such things.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Thanks!
by Gorthaur / July 22, 2004 9:54 AM PDT

Tried it with just the motherboard and power suply and still no luck.
I then decided to take the power supply out of my old computer and tried that with just the motherboard and to my suprise IT WORKED!!! I then plugged everything back in and started it up again and I got as far as I could go untill I manage to find where I hid my windows xp CD. Thanks alot for the help. I just need to get that power supply replaced and then I should be good to go. =D

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2004 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Thanks!

I hope you see the method we used to track it down.

Best of luck,

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.