Computer Help forum

General discussion

computer temperature

by ebaAay / February 15, 2007 11:38 AM PST

My computer has always seemed to be running at high temperatures as I can feel the room heat up and the fans always running so loud.
I downloaded Speedfan as i needed something to adjust the fan speed as the sound was getting unbearable.
My "Temp2" sometimes reaches 75C and my HD 45C.
Are these temperatures normal? What is a safe temperature for my computer to be running at?

System is as follows:
Pentium 4 3.0GHz CPU
Seagate 80GB harddrive
1GB DDR RAM
Windows XP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer temperature
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer temperature
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
time to dust
by linkit / February 15, 2007 12:37 PM PST
In reply to: computer temperature

Use a can of compressed air to clean the dust from the all case filters and fans. Blow out all dust from all the heatsink and fans, especially those on the CPU.

Next, run the computer with the case opened. Observe the CPU fan. Is it making all the noise? Is it struggling? If so, maybe it's time to replace it. What are the temperatures now?

There are many factors that influence temperature, but in a room temperature environment, the P4 should idle well under 50

Collapse -
by ebaAay / February 15, 2007 1:45 PM PST
In reply to: time to dust

It is a Prescott I know that one. Does this make a difference?

It is a custom built computer (assembled for me though). There are no other fans running apart from the CPU and the custom case one.

I'll be getting a new computer soon, so this one won't be in use as much so im not too fussed about spending alot of money to fix the cooling on this one but are these temperatures too high to think like that?

I'll open it up soon and clean it out, there'd probably be a bit of dust inside, but this has been going on like this since a few months after I got it (it's around 2 and a half years old now).

Collapse -
One step at a time
by linkit / February 15, 2007 2:36 PM PST
In reply to: ...

Prescott cores run a little hotter than Northwoods, but not as much as you are experiencing. You can expect them to run up to about 10

Collapse -
well
by ebaAay / February 15, 2007 4:47 PM PST
In reply to: One step at a time

I just took the case off and gave it a good clean with some compressed air, turned the thing back and at the moment its running at 46

Collapse -
After about 1 hour
by ebaAay / February 15, 2007 5:24 PM PST
In reply to: well

the temperature is still alright - 53

Collapse -
Good job!
by linkit / February 15, 2007 11:30 PM PST
In reply to: After about 1 hour

P4 Prescott under load (virus scan) with a Celsius temp in the mid 50's sounds good to me. Congratulations!

If your case allows it, see if you can move the HD to a position where it has the most room around it. Many cases have a place to install a front intake fan that blows over the hard drive cage.

Collapse -
by ebaAay / February 16, 2007 11:21 AM PST
In reply to: Good job!

the hard drive looks alright where it is, but what I did notice was a few broken elastics on the bottom of my case. I take it these are from my hard drive (there was half of one hanging on the corner of it).
Are they really necessary? Should these be replaced?

Collapse -
custom buid issues
by linkit / February 15, 2007 2:45 PM PST
In reply to: ...

Another issue comes up with home builds. The thermal compound is sometimes applied incorrectly--too much, too little, uneven. Also, some thermal compound just doesn't age well and needs to be replaced.

If after the computer is cleaned and the fans are known to be working properly, removing the old thermal compound and then applying new sometimes is just what the doctor ordered! A small tube of compound is not too expensive--just make sure to follow the directions.

Collapse -
Sounds about right
by jackson dougless / February 15, 2007 12:39 PM PST

Pentium 4 chips tend to run a bit hot, and 75C actually sounds like you've got a pretty efficient cooling setup.

If the noise gets to you, you have a couple of options. You can get larger, and slower, fans for the system. The larger size allows them to move the same amount of air at a lower RPM, and lower RPMs means less noise. You can also look into water cooling setups. They're expensive, but aside from a small pump to keep the water circulating, it's a completely passive form of cooling, so it would be virtually silent. Water is also a much more effective than convection cooling. You can also get custom cases, that are designed to be insulated for sound. However, that option is probably out of the question if you have anything but a custom built system. There are also companies that have low noise fans. Like everything else, they cost a bit more, and if you replace the heatsink fan, you'd void the warranty on your CPU. It's an option though.

One final thought, is just getting an extension cable for your monitor, and a cordless or bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse. Then you could put the computer base in a closet or somewhere out of the way, and still be able to use it.

Collapse -
Prescotts run hot!
by kcoppock / February 15, 2007 3:30 PM PST
In reply to: Sounds about right

I know from experience. When I built my PC, I got an Intel Pentium D840 3.2 GHz dual-core processor, and used a fairly large high speed CPU fan, and still I'd have the computer overheat and shut off frequently, and after checking the temperature, it was running at around 75-78 degrees celsius (which really is FAR too hot for it to be running!). I eventually had to throw the money down for a watercooling system (about $120 for the one I got), but it cools a whole lot better, the CPU runs about 34-42 degrees depending on how much use I'm putting it through. The watercooling system was difficult to install though, and takes up a LARGE amount of your PC case, so make sure you have at least a midtower or full size tower (depending on what you get, mine was a Thermaltake Bigwater 735, I had to mount the radiator on the OUTSIDE of the case).

And contrary to what was said before, they really aren't any quieter than a standard fan. Mine sounds like a vaccuum cleaner if I turn the fans up all the way (okay, maybe not THAT loud!). It's worth the extra money though, in the long run, your processor will keep working longer if it's not running excessively hot all the time.

Collapse -
Still not that bad
by jackson dougless / February 16, 2007 12:40 PM PST
In reply to: Prescotts run hot!

CPUs should be able to take temps up to about 90C before failing. While it's not exactly a brilliant idea to test it, ~75C isn't all that alarming. Intel isn't interested in facing a class action lawsuit, so it's not going to sell chips that will overheat from normal operations.

There are of course environmental factors to take into account. If you live in a warm humid place, like say Florida, you have to expect it to be a bit warmer than say a system in the arctic region of Siberia in the winter.

Poor ventilation in the case, like is commonly found with brand name systems, can also play a major role. If a lot of warm air is being trapped in the case, and you can't get cooler air in, it's not as effective as if you have a steady flow of air.

And I guess the quality of the water pump can make a lot of difference on the amount of noise made by a water cooling system, just like ball bearing fans. Don't have much experience with water cooling setups outside of those that came standard with some of the late G5 PowerMacs. Those were absolutely silent, though there were a number of other systems around, using convection cooling which may have drown out the noise. And those PowerMac cases were so heavy, it'd take a pretty strong sound wave to be able to get that vibrating enough to be audible.

Collapse -
Could be wrong...
by kcoppock / February 16, 2007 2:24 PM PST
In reply to: Still not that bad

Yeah, it could have been something entirely unrelated, I guess I just assumed it was the processor overheating, after reading the booklet that said it had that safety feature to shut down if overheating. So 75 isn't extremely horrible? Guess that's good, but I still wouldn't want to let it run at that temp.

Collapse -
Too Hot
by Stan Chambers / February 15, 2007 12:56 PM PST

I have to agree with Linkit's post. My 2.8ghz p4 runs between 40 & 45C.
That's with a generic cpu hsf and 80mm case fan.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.