HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer Tech issues, esp with games

by Shegotlockjaw / April 24, 2008 3:23 PM PDT

Hello to whoso ever finds time to read this,lol, but whats pissin me off is that i just recently built this pc not to long ago and it runs SL like crap..best recently i can get is 24 FPS mid lvl settings and i crash alot for some reason..i do have a couple issues with other games too..like some freeze up and i gotta alt tab out then back in and its back to norm..but SL is my main issue..just real bad fps..lag"of course" frequent crashes esp comeing out of mouselook.This was my actuall first build all drivers are up to date. Im just not sure what im missing and why i get poor performance. so here is my specs and im open to any ideas that could possible help me or opinions that could be messin me up. Anything is appreciated Silly

Operating System: Windows Vista? Ultimate 64bit (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG "mother board is a ASUS M2N32-SLI Premium Vista Edition AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8190MB RAM
Page File: 1991MB used, 14571MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 64bit Unicode
Power supply: APEVIA ICEBERG ATX-IB680W-BL ATX12V / EPS12V 680W

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT X2 sli
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8600 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0402&SUBSYS_C7503842&REV_A1
Display Memory: 2283 MB
Dedicated Memory: 237 MB
Shared Memory: 2046 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor: ACER AL2216W
Driver Name: nvd3dum,nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2umx.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.6932 (English)
DDI Version: 10

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Tech issues, esp with games
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Tech issues, esp with games
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
System Labs
by strickjh2005 / April 24, 2008 3:31 PM PDT
Collapse -
Tried
by Shegotlockjaw / April 24, 2008 4:02 PM PDT
In reply to: System Labs

Used it and my system passed in all catigories..over the recomended settings. so not sure what the problem is..im completly stumped..device manager shows no problems either so i dont now..but thank you for the link..added it, could come in handy in time ;P

Collapse -
8600GTs aren't very fast to start with
by ramarc / April 25, 2008 12:43 AM PDT

what game is "SL"? do you mean SLI mode?

if so, 24fps sounds reasonable if you're gaming at 1680x1050.
also, your cards appear to be using shared memory (256mb cards mimicing 512mb). if so, you should definitely turn it off:
Display Memory: 2283 MB
Dedicated Memory: 237 MB ****
Shared Memory: 2046 MB < bad
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)

the bottom line is you've spent a good bit of money on a fairly high end rig and then saddled it with 2 wimpy video cards. if you want your PC to be a gamer, dump the 8600GT cards and get at least a 9600GT. One $140 9600GT will double your performance. 2 of them can outperform a 9800gtx in most games.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce9600gt-sli_6.html#sect1

ps: since you have 8gb of ram, you should reduce your pagefile to 1gb or less (just enough to hold a mini-dump).

Collapse -
Notice the "64bit"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 12:45 AM PDT

Drivers and more lag in updates and more for this OS. While I know the answer I often find the owner needs time to stew (a tenderizing process) before they head back to 32 bit Windows where all the good drivers are.
Bob

Collapse -
64bit driver situation is not as bad as you paint it
by ramarc / April 25, 2008 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Notice the "64bit"?

for example, anandtech uses vista 64bit as their sole review platform. hardocp does the same. here are 64bit benchmarks for 9600gt and 8600gt.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3234&p=3

64bit will give folks a few more problems than 32bit, but not if they have up-to-date hardware and go directly to the hardware manufacturers (rather than pc vendors) for their drivers. most manufacturers also release vista 64bit drivers in sync with 32bit versions.

btw, here are charts for 9600gt sli to get an idea of their peformance.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce9600gt-sli_6.html

Collapse -
The nugget I take away is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 1:51 AM PDT

"64bit will give folks a few more problems than 32bit, but not if they have up-to-date hardware and go directly to the hardware manufacturers (rather than pc vendors) for their drivers. most manufacturers also release vista 64bit drivers in sync with 32bit versions."

So given the problems above I could tell them to change out the motherboard and video to something up-to-date?

It's fairly current hardware but they built it and may not have known this area was problematic. It's also unclear how they would make it a warranty issue to get it resolved.
Bob

Collapse -
the poster's hardware is up-to-date
by ramarc / April 25, 2008 2:36 AM PDT

and was self-built. the performance problems he/she is having is due to low-end video cards and SLI, not the 64bit platform. even dual 8600GT can't be expected to provide 60fps at 1680x1050. and SLI's performance improvement is very game specific (some games are 50% faster, some can even be slower) and can often produce erratic behavior.

Collapse -
Then let's just tell them that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 4:36 AM PDT

-> Your video card is not good enough. Go get this -> _________________!!!

Collapse -
Getting the picture..
by Shegotlockjaw / April 25, 2008 11:13 AM PDT

Yeah all my drivers are up to date. and i keep them updated but i see that the 8600s were a bad choice on my part..last thing i bought and went cheap, so im guessing either to go with a 9800gtx since the price isnt that bad for the performance or a pair of the 9600s im guessing i got a bottleneck in the graphics cards to much info trying to come through a small hole. Thanks for all the input Silly

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.