Desktops forum

General discussion

Computer suddenly restarts - dealt with in every way

Simple. The computer just suddenly decides to do arestart. I've been through every possible scenario and tested the memory, processor temperature, hard drives for faults with their manufacturers' software, bought a new power supply... no, it just still does it. Perhaps the strangest thing about these restarts is their frequency. They're rare, about once a month. And they do not seem correlated with any hardware or software activity that was going on at the time.

Windows is set not to restart if it encounters a BSOD so I'm really out of ideas. I've eliminatd any software causes such as updates requiring restart, viruses and so on. So what DO I know? I know only one thing. When my computer restarts, it does a short beep. Now I'm sure many of our computers beep on startup, as does mine, but this one ONLY beeps on startup if:

-it is starting up from power-off mode
-its BIOS had been configged and a restart is required to apply them
-you push the restart button on the case

A restart from inside the OS or one caused by a BSOD will not make it beep. Additionally, my UPS sometimes makes a clicking sound before the restarts. Again the power supply has been changed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer suddenly restarts - dealt with in every way
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer suddenly restarts - dealt with in every way
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Additionally, my UPS sometimes makes a clicking sound befor

In reply to: Computer suddenly restarts - dealt with in every way

"Additionally, my UPS sometimes makes a clicking sound before the restarts. Again the power supply has been changed."

Using that as the big clue, I would supersize that power supply. If it was 350 Watts I'd try some 700 Watt model. The UPS dipping out is the big clue here. Your PC is just suffering a loss of AC so there is nothing truly wrong here with the PC. But by supersizing the PSU in the PC you can effectively give it some a little more time it will survive without AC.

Another owner discovered it was the UPS. The reboots stopped when the UPS was removed from the system.

Bob

Collapse -
I tried removint the UPS

In reply to: "Additionally, my UPS sometimes makes a clicking sound befor

I have had the UPS removed for a month in one such test. The computer still rebooted. My PSU is a 470W Thermaltake. I have tried bringing up all HDDs to max activity aswell as the DVD and got no restarts even after 20 minutes. I have to mention that some of the restarts occurred while the computer was idle, so it doesn't seem like my PSU can't cope with power requirements. Could the motherboard be to blame in any way? It is the only component in the PC that I have not tested, though as far as I understand bad capacitators would cause much more frequent reboots, plus they'd get worse with time. I've had this computer for an year and the issue has remained constant...

Collapse -
The click is still the clue.

In reply to: I tried removint the UPS

Do you have a laptop? I bet it won't reboot since it has a battery to run from. I've had to show people that bad AC is the cause of reboots when the hardware is just fine. To show it I use the laptop with and then without the battery. Sadly this sort of testing is only done with paying clients...

If you feel the motherboard is the issue why not get it replaced?

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: The click is still the clue.

No, it's a desktop.

I don't know about AC, I really don't know. I've had it supplied by an UPS which is supposed to provide a constant stream of AC whatever happens to the power, then had it removed but the computer STILL restarted once, now how am I to know if that was from the AC line itself or the same problem that's plagued it before?

And I can't do that because I'm not SURE the motherboard is the issue.

Collapse -
That's the issue today...

In reply to: .

Owners can't be sure so they may have to call in support to look it over. But such support is more costly than a new motherboard.

I can see where many would get stuck in "what to do?" land.

-> You suspect the motherboard so you have choices.
-> An UPS is NO ASSURANCE that the AC is uninterrupted.

Bob

Collapse -
/

In reply to: That's the issue today...

I had the UPS serviced and they found no problems with it. And the main reason why I'm not sending this to tech support is because I NEED my computer every day.

Collapse -
Then I'd make a backup plan.

In reply to: /

Let's forget fixing it since that is not an option (you need it 24x7.)

The next best step is to have what you can't lose on 2 or more backups. I can't count how many lose it all because that had "a backup." Then the day arrived and the lone backup couldn't be read, used or such.

I feel for you but also understand the issues too well.

Bob

Collapse -
Already on it

In reply to: Then I'd make a backup plan.

Oh I've been making backup plans for it alright. I have Norton Ghost back up my C: to another drive weekly(I have 4 harddrives). And that's not because of the fear of restarts occurring when the computer is working and thus possibly corrupting data, but because I've played with some powertoys before and messed up the MBR a few times.

I'm considering buying a new motherboard yes, and I think I will leave it at that. HOPEFULLY this will get rid of the reboots once and for all.

Collapse -
I apologize if I already mentioned this one.

In reply to: Already on it

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.