Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer stops when running and restarts.

by maddogdennis / December 16, 2007 2:29 AM PST

I have an FujitsuSiemens computer (Scaleo H) from 2005. Windows XP SP2, AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4200+,2.21GHz,1G Ram.After some problems with antivirus programs and stability of the system. I had the suggestion from FujitsuSiemens to formate the HD and re-install xp from recovery disk. The problem started after that. Finally I made a new formating of the HD and re-installed W XP. Everything worked fine but when XP was loading, the computer shut down. The tower was still under power but nothing worked. I did manual restart and after a few attemt it worked. Now the computer runns ok but suddenly it shutdown and re-start automatically.All info is gone and W XP is reloading. Now I only have W XP, MS office, Avast antivirus running to make minimum strain on system. What can I do??????Help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer stops when running and restarts.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer stops when running and restarts.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two recent repairs for that were.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2007 3:38 AM PST

1. The owner had decided heatsink compound was optional. Heck it worked fine for a few months. Later it began crashing. "No, it can't be that." was their response.

2. The power supply was just barely big enough. We fitted a monster and that was that.

It could be heat but we run into those that measure the CPU or other temperatures. For them we have to wait this they get tired of the crashing then we try the simple test. We leave the cover off.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for previous answer related to overheat.
by maddogdennis / December 16, 2007 5:25 PM PST

I dont think the problem is overheat since the auto shutdown is sometimes just after XP loaded. I have, since I wrote the Q, had problems to start the computer at all. When finally getting a video picture I have the option to start in "last best config"witch I tried all works ok but when manual shutdown is made the computer dont stop.
Sometimes the computer works well but sometimes not. I have been told about problems with memory that causes bad behaviour.????

Collapse -
So what did you check?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2007 11:03 PM PST

Since it's a few years old did you check the heatsink placements, the power upgrade, dust, clean and reload the OS?

Tell us what you've done. If nothing, tell us that too.

Bob

Collapse -
Computer aoto S/D
by maddogdennis / December 16, 2007 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: So what did you check?

I did for a few month ago dust the inside of the computer and cleaned all holes for ventilation etc.That is all I have done apart for normal window updates. I don't know how to do the power upgrades or check the heat sink placements.The OS has been re-loaded with the original recovery CD a few times.
I recall, that the last problem with auto shutdown and restart + refusal to start and that the computer just stays on without any indication of answering, started after I downloaded something with a torrent.The feature in the torrent provider was to tick a box for auto S/D when download completed.Can that be the reason?? I have re- installed XP after but no change.

Collapse -
That helps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2007 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: Computer aoto S/D

Read http://www.news.com/PCs-plagued-by-bad-capacitors/2100-1041_3-5942647.html

This is an issue not just limited to Dell. The inspection is simple and we usually replace the power supply since those age and start causing random restarts. It's also the cheapest part that could be suspect.

I don't suspect the OS since you reloaded it and have not written any words that lead me to suspect a software issue.

You can also test the RAM with MEMTEST86 (see google.com) and the hard disk (be sure to use the non-destructive tests) by finding the drive maker's diagnostic.

Bob

Collapse -
auto S/D
by maddogdennis / December 17, 2007 1:23 AM PST
In reply to: That helps.

Hi and thanks for your answers and the time taking.
There is no indication in the drwts.exe were all fault would have been recorded in accordance to MS. How would you do the inspection of the power supply and how do you replace the pwr supply? I checked the site with bad capacitors and I will check if the same symptoms are on my mother board. Are the capacitors the target in your wording "pwr supply"?
I tried the ramtest but could not even have a correct download and don't know how to start the test. Can you direct me to a english spoken site. Once again, THANKS for your help. You are our friend in the dark.

Collapse -
More...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2007 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: auto S/D

1. The capacitors we inspect are all ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS on all boards. The issue has been found on motherboard, video cards, power supplies so we don't limit the inspection to one card.

2. Here's the MEMTEST86 site. http://www.memtest86.com/ Use the free download. BTW, it's the first hit on google.com when you type in MEMTEST86.

3. How to replace a power supply. It's easier than changing my porch's light fixture's light bulb but in short you find a new supply with about 100 more Watts than the old one then take the screws off the back, unplug the cables, put in the new supply, screw it in and plug the power cables back in. I'm sure there are a few hundred web sites that expand on that.

Bob

Collapse -
auto S/D of computer
by maddogdennis / December 29, 2007 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: More...

Hi. Thanks for the advice.I have followed your advice but I never came so far to change the pwr supply. The problem with my computer is now solved, I think.
I finally got a error code and I did check it against the reference with microsoft. It was not easy to find, it looks like MS is doing everything to hide important information. The problems was the display drivers on the computer. I de-installed all drivers and re-installed the drivers from my installation disk and made an update on each of them. At the moment it works OK. I hope all stays that way.
I am glad for your advice, they gave me a push to start the trouble shooting process. Now I have another problem with a file I can not get rid of. I will open a new post for that one. Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.