How To forum

Question

Computer stopped during system restore

by cathy62650 / September 17, 2011 9:37 AM PDT

My grand daughter turned off my computer during system restore. Now I can go to Computer and see 123GB free of 288GB on C: and 3.88 free of 10.0GB on D: . So I think there is still my data on there but it is not showing up in my program files and I cannot access system recovery. It says there is no back up data.
I sure would appreciate some help as to what to do.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer stopped during system restore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer stopped during system restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: computer stopped
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 17, 2011 9:03 PM PDT

- Could you explain what you mean with 'system restore' and 'system recovery'? It's uncommon for system recovery to mention 'back up data'.
- Your data shouldn't show in Program Files. So that's quite OK. Most people store a lot of data (but not all) in their Documents folder. Where were all your data?
- What did you use drive D: for?
- Talking about backup: tell us about your backup routine. Your data should still be in Dropbox or on the DVD's you burned them to.
- And, most important, what's your problem? If you can go into Computer, I'd say you should have working desktop at least. What doesn't work?

Kees

Collapse -
Computer stopped
by cathy62650 / September 18, 2011 10:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: computer stopped

D: drive us the factory Recovery drive on my Gateway GT5618e computer. In control panel it has the option to restore to factory settings.When I tried to start it it said that the system boot exe was missing or corrupt. Nothing showed in the start menu at all. Since I posted the problem I went to add remove programs in the control panel and nothing showed up. I went and downloaded new drivers and up dates but in computers drive C: when I right click and open it I can see all the things still in there but none of it is working on my computer. There is no option to uninstall anything because according to the control panel there is nothing there. I have to install anything on there over again in order for it to work but I can't uninstall anything.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!