Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer Stop From Bug Check

by Daviddude / January 13, 2007 12:31 AM PST

Hi Everyone,
Early this morning my computer stopped and restarted from a Bug Check.
I did some research, and downloaded the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools but this was no help. The Dumpchk.exe program can't open the dump file.
Now the only thing on this install that wasn't on my previous install is the Microsoft Net Framework 2.0 - and I had to install this for Microsoft SyncToy.
Has anyone received a Bug Check like this before?
Any suggestions?
Thanks for your replies.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Stop From Bug Check
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Stop From Bug Check
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you ever resolve your firewall issues?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2007 2:17 AM PST

Something is amiss with this machine. It has trouble with Zone Alarm and the office has dozens of machines that don't.

-> There's a clue here. But what will we do if the clues are not collected in your posts?

Bob

Collapse -
I don't know about the firewall issue
by Daviddude / January 13, 2007 2:33 AM PST

As my machine rebooted after the bug stop. I will leave it on all day today see if I have problems.
I am wondering if I should just start over again...
With this reload, I reformatted and installed Windows XP SP 2, then did all the Windows Updates, THEN I installed all the drivers...Do you think that might be the cause?
I have run CA Antivirus (in safe mode), the online Micro Trends free scan, Windows Defender, Lava-Soft Adaware, SpyBot Search and Destroy, and RootKit Reveal. Aside from cookies, they turned up nothing.
Your post leads me to believe you know something but aren't sharing...hoping I will catch the clue...well help me out if you do please.
Thanks

Collapse -
That's new info.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2007 4:39 AM PST

I can't see it yet, but tell about the machine, the drivers, the age of the machine, the maintenance where you clean up the heatsinks. All these things are normal when we maintain our own machines.

It's also normal for the occasional glitch or reboot if we have the usual desktop running on AC power. Hint? The power could have dipped out too long.

Be sure you are tracking down a real problem and not a one time event.

Bob

Collapse -
Here is the info:
by Daviddude / January 13, 2007 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: That's new info.

It is an Insignia D400A with a Pentium 4 processor running at 2.8GHz, 1 GIG RAM, 64 MB onboard memory (shared with the RAM). It will be 3 years old next month. The drivers all came with/on the restore DVD. I updated the video and processor drivers after the install. The video driver I had installed a year ago and still had the file. I blew out all the insides - I know that my power supply fan is not moving as fast as it should - need to replace that. Right now I have the computer running with the side removed and haven't had the FTdisk error since the cleaning and leaving the cover open.
The one program that isn't supposed to be running if I use a third party firewall is Alg, but after a reboot it is running again so I am leaving it alone.
Something new last night though was my daughter's computer trying to act as the "Master Server" for whatever that means. Both computers are hooked to a Wireless modem/router supplied by SBC. My computer is connected via LAN, hers is connected wirelessly. Now, something I didn't do until this morning is run the network setup wizard on my machine after the re-install. This might have caused that problem - I don't know yet but will keep an eye on the event log. But after seeing that, I ran the network setup wizard, gave my computer a name and the workgroup it was joining. Maybe this is the ZoneAlarm issue too??? I don't know. I consider myself lucky that I networked the computers and was able to share files with her computer. I don't know too much about networking.

Collapse -
About updating drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2007 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: Here is the info:

I hope you did this the old fashioned way and not some "click here" button. Again, details matter. Versions, story, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague shows the old story of the capacitor plague and what happens if we let out machines get too hot. Hopefully the cover off saves you but don't push your luck with a slow fan.

Bob

Collapse -
Bad Caps makes me wonder...
by Daviddude / January 13, 2007 5:22 AM PST

Before the reload, my computer would not turn on sometimes completely. Meaning the lights on the tower would light, but not the laser mouse light. This stopped when I replaced the DVD drive.
Now for the Intel drivers, I downloaded this Chipset utility and that gave me the info for the correct drivers. I downloaded the zip ones, and manually went to hardware properties and updated the PCI bridge as instructed. Now the video driver I had from the same type of program from last year. It was an exe program and I ran it and it updated my video driver and that was visably clear after a reboot.
I am going to dig out a power supply fan now. I have three computers here (for parts - I just can't throw those things away).
While I have the power supply open for this, I will check the caps and let you know what I find.

Collapse -
I looked at the Widepedia Link
by Daviddude / January 13, 2007 6:17 AM PST

and it shows clear ooze on the caps...my power supply has this brown glue looking stuff around the caps...but all the caps are level on the circuit board and this brown glue looking stuff is around the middle of the caps and just the caps.

Do you think I need a new power supply?

Collapse -
Sounds like you found one cause.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2007 6:32 AM PST

Good caps don't have bulges or ooze. It's a constant theme we see in the office.

What you'll notice is the issue is worse when the machine is cold. Drives people (and techs) nuts that not amount of testing will find this.

Bob

PS> Techs are people too...

Collapse -
Is there an easy way to find the power supply?
by Daviddude / January 13, 2007 8:39 AM PST

I mean, how do I do it? all the cables, are they standard? I haven't had to replace one before. I bought the computer at Best Buy. Should I call them?
thanks

Collapse -
I've googled
by Daviddude / January 13, 2007 9:03 AM PST

and I also sent an email to Best Buy asking them. I can find Hipro power supplies, but not this model #.

Collapse -
Fairly standard stuff.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2007 9:06 AM PST

But I missed what make and model PC you have.

Try newegg.com, geeks.com for a broader selection.

Bob

Collapse -
My computer is an Insignia D400A and the power supply is ...
by Daviddude / January 13, 2007 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: Fairly standard stuff.

HIPRO Model HP-P3037F5

Collapse -
(NT) I will check the links too, thanks :)
by Daviddude / January 13, 2007 9:10 AM PST
Collapse -
Oh, that machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2007 9:10 AM PST

The Insignia is something "built." It used standard parts...

Collapse -
so standard stuff...
by Daviddude / January 13, 2007 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: Oh, that machine.
Collapse -
(NT) I'd add more Watts. The 250 Watt is "light."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2007 9:28 AM PST
Collapse -
I added up the hardware and came up with 399
by Daviddude / January 13, 2007 11:02 AM PST

so I am going to look for a 400 or higher. So, all the cables and connections are the same then? I mean a yellow on a 24 pin on one power supply will be the same on the other one. Standard stuff? All I need to do then is make sure the new power supply is the same box size as the current one and the connections are the same. Am I right?
Thanks

Collapse -
Yes. Thankfully standard stuff.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2007 11:36 AM PST

You can see why your 250 Watt is struggling.

Collapse -
I bought new power supply
by Daviddude / January 14, 2007 10:15 AM PST

Hey there, I bought a new power supply for the computer. 430 watts Thermaltake with dual fans. Now time to test this thing to see if the errors still happen.

R Proffitt - Thank you very much for your help!!!
Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?