Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer still freezing....even after a reformat

by jtb1987 / July 1, 2008 11:32 AM PDT

I have a desktop (Pentium III, 512 MB ram, 1.11 GHz) here that began freezing about a week ago. When it froze everything froze. You couldn't move the mouse, ctrl/alt/delete didn't work, nothing.

I didn't feel like searching for viruses and repairing them, so I just reformatted the entire computer and did a clean install of Windows XP with SP2. The freezing still occurs. I got rid of all the dust inside the computer and it still froze. I pulled everything off the mother board and put them back into their exact places and still the same freezing problem.

I discovered that the freezing only occurs when I use the internet (firefox or IE). Before, If I just held the power button to shut it down and turn it back on, I would have no internet. However if I just yanked the plug out, plugged it back in, and turned it back on, my internet was there. I tried switching to using a wireless network with the wireless card instead of the regular card and the freezing still occurs.

I am also able to browse the internet with NO problems in safe mode (with networking option). I have no idea what to do about this. Can anyone offer help? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer still freezing....even after a reformat
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer still freezing....even after a reformat
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2008 11:35 AM PDT

Remove all BHOs. What are those? Please see google.

How do I remove them? I use HIJACKTHIS.

Please try it. If that fails then tell us the last time you cleaned the machine's vents, fans, and heatsinks.
Bob

Collapse -
R. Proffit,
by jtb1987 / July 1, 2008 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this usual.

Ok I ran hijackthis and found one BHO file:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
E:\bootcd\wintools\autorun.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Hijack.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: WMP54Gv4SVC - GEMTEKS - C:\Program Files\Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter\WLService.exe

--
End of file - 2116 bytes

Is that the only thing I remove?

Collapse -
avg
by jtb1987 / July 1, 2008 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this usual.

I noticed that the BHO file is part of the AVG dll. Will removing it mess up my AVG anti virus program?

Collapse -
You can reinstall that later.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2008 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: avg
Collapse -
removed the one BHO, had already cleaned it
by jtb1987 / July 1, 2008 11:57 PM PDT

Hi,

I went ahead and removed the BHO and I had already tried cleaning it to see if that would fix the problem. Freezing still occurs.

Collapse -
"did a clean install of Windows XP with SP2. The freezing st
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2008 12:07 AM PDT

"did a clean install of Windows XP with SP2. The freezing still occurs. I got rid of all the dust inside the computer and it still froze. I pulled everything off the mother board and put them back into their exact places and still the same freezing problem."

Tell me about motherboard chipset drivers you used. Which version, etc. since Microsoft won't get them for us.

Also, tell us about the CPU heatsink compound. As this is a P3 it's likely to be in need of a drop or two since it's an old machine. Sometimes that cures it.

-> Let's be honest here. It is a dated machine so things like this are not always fixable for the right price. But we'll try.
Bob

Collapse -
WAIT A SECOND. I see Adaware and AVG.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2008 12:09 AM PDT

Some report there's a conflict there. Uninstall that for now and retest.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.