Computer Help forum

Question

Computer stays in Power save mode (Help)

by Blqck / October 26, 2012 7:58 PM PDT

My problem is :

I recently switched motherboards since my old one broke (switched with the same as i had before just this one works ) With my last motherboard i had this issue where if turned off my computer and when i tried to start it , everything worked well inside no beep sounds or anything , just my monitor wouldn't start (lights of monitor work well , if i remove the cable that connects the monitor to my graphic cards it says no signal which is normal since it is not connect . but ones i put the cable back in , connect them , i get this message entering power save mode , and as soon i start the computer nothing happens my monitor just stays there blank in power save mode , i have 2 monitors in my new one it says power save mode , while on my old monitor it says no video input , i tried 2 different graphics cards didn't worked , switched the cable of Monitor - motherboards slot for graphics card still the same , removed / swapped Rams didn't do anything either , removed the small battery on the motherboard for a bit still didn't do anything , changed power supply's still nothing , checked incase some of the wires if they were touching with the motherboard all clean and not touching with it, changed the cable that connects monitor to graphics card slot , every possible cable is connected to the position it suppose to .

Really don't know how is it even possible , i have no kids to mess with my computer , don't allow pets in my room . i just turned off the computer since i had it on for a week or so (but i let it into Sleep /Hybernate mode) thinking would be good for computer to rest it's hardware , but ones i came back from college tried to turn on the PC and there it was this problem with the monitor , been trying to fix it for couple of days , searching the net for what ever fix might be there , but nothing looks to work , last time i had this issue i just switched/removed some rams and it worked like a charm , but this time it doesn't.

My motherboard : msi ms-7383 G31M2 v1

Quad 2 duo @ 4 GB ram

ATI Radeon 4600 HD series graphics card (works ones i turn on my computer , not like it's dead or something)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer stays in Power save mode (Help)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer stays in Power save mode (Help)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Any beeps?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2012 2:45 AM PDT

That "power save" is usually what I hear when the owner is talking about what is showing on screen so with that out of the way, tell me HOW MANY VOLTS DO YOU READ WITH A VOLT METER on the BIOS BATTERY.

If it's too low, many machines won't start.
Bob

Collapse -
Computer stays in Power save mode (Help)
by Blqck / October 28, 2012 9:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Any beeps?

I don't have any volt meter machine ;/ , i will try to borrow from a friend of mine higher voltage PSU and lower voltage PSU to see if that was any issue , also my computer doesn't make any beep sounds when i start it , even if i remove the rams :s

Collapse -
No beeps is a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2012 2:38 AM PDT

I'd look at the CMOS Battery Volts (folk that don't have a Volt meter just put in a new one) but no beeps have MANY causes. From dead drives to stuck reset buttons to failed boards.

Type THE DEAD PC at google and you see that you need more clues to narrow it down.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!