HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Computer Starting trouble

by Sean1960 / November 27, 2009 3:16 AM PST

I have a Pressario SR5410F and it will only start evry 20 or 30 times I press the start button. When it does not start I do not get a post beep, or get into the bios...just nothing, then every once and a while it will just start up. When it does I get the resume windows screen, it reboots and then won't start again.

I have checked the following:

-power supply (checked on a tester and swapped out for different one)

-ram (ran memory test - AOK)

-ran HDD test - everyting AOK

-removed and replaced CPU with new thermal grease

Could it be the motherboard, if so how do I check?

Also if I do replace the motherboard will any uATX 775 board work as the Compaq one, if I can find it is about 250.00...not worth repairing.

Any ideas on my next step would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sean

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Starting trouble
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Starting trouble
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"not get a post beep, or get into the bios...just nothing"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2009 3:40 AM PST

What voltage is the CMOS battery?

Did you inspect it for BAD CAPS?

Collapse -
caps and voltage ok
by Sean1960 / November 27, 2009 3:46 AM PST

no apparrent bad caps and voltage on battery is 3.13

Thanks Bob
Sean

Collapse -
Then other things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2009 3:54 AM PST
In reply to: caps and voltage ok

Unplug all USB items. I've seen a BIOS or 2 (actually more) that go out to lunch over that.

While we all know 5 year old machines do this, we try a few things first.
Bob

Collapse -
usb items
by Sean1960 / November 27, 2009 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: Then other things.

there are no usb items plugged in, only things plugged in are the mouse, keyboard and monitor, unlkess you mean the usb headers n the motherboard as well.

Sean

Collapse -
There are more things to try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2009 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: usb items

Remember that we are dealing with a dying machine so we can try everything and anything to avoid the motherboard.

For example I would unplug all CD/HD/DVD drives from the motherboard since we know an IDE short can stop the boot. Same for ANY PCI or other card. Remove what we can and get down to just the motherboard, power supply, CPU and heatsink. If those don't start up and beep in protest for the lack of ram and more then we are looking at the bad parts.

Some "test" the power supply but since the RISE TIME of the voltages can cause odd boot issues I've learned to always swap it out.
Bob

Collapse -
Starting to sound like the motherboard
by Sean1960 / November 27, 2009 4:18 AM PST

I did do that once (strip everything out) and no post beep. The drives (both dvd and HDD) are SATA not sure if that makes a difference. So I guess it is probably the motherboard then? If so will any uATX MB work, or do I have to put an HP one back in?

Thanks again Bob
Sean

Collapse -
About the motherboard change.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2009 5:58 AM PST

Since the OS dies with the motherboard (please don't start another discussion about "I bought the OS") be sure to budget not only the motherboard but an OS.

This is why we'll do every possible test to assure ourselves it's not the main board. Even fitting a new power supply to be sure.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by Sean1960 / November 27, 2009 6:15 AM PST

Thanks alot Bob, I have already budgeted for Win 7, now a great time to do it, good idea about the power supply too.

Cheers
Sean

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.