Computer Help forum

General discussion

computer started to load slowly

by Barakof / August 21, 2007 1:14 AM PDT

some time ago i had a lightning strike, it killed my ethernet connection, my router and my graphic card (nvidia 5200 fx, RIP). i've replaced the card, the router and the ethernet conenctor and also decided to upgrade a little, so i have doubled the memmory to a total of 1 GB and bought a new hard drive to be a secondary (both 80 GB each) to put a linux system on it. now, the computer did in fact boot and worked much faster with the added memmory, even after i've installed linux.
now, the problems started after i've had a problem transferring files from the linux file system to the FAT32 partition on the new hard drive (nothing changed with the old one). i think i forgot that one thing fat32 didn't have was long filename support so it totally screwed it up. it was so bad i had to format that partition (as NTFS) and then convert it to FAT32 through linux. ever since then the windows XP i'm running boots up slowly and programs load up slower than ever (not as slow as the booting, though). there is no malware on the computer (i have zone alarm suite with it's antivirus and antispyware, spybot, ad-aware and did an additional scan with clamwinAV).
any suggestions as to what might have caused the problem? if there's any additional information you'd like, just ask.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer started to load slowly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer started to load slowly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
slow comp
by Amos16 / August 22, 2007 12:44 AM PDT

I would check all the connectors. Lightning sometimes blackens them which makes them still work but not quite as before. Also maybe your boot disk and/or computer is too full with all you did? Hope this helps - Amos

Collapse -
another thought
by Amos16 / August 22, 2007 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: slow comp

check the cables as well. If nothing else shows up it may be one of them: cable to modem or cable from modem to wall. A fall off of 2db can slow you down quite some. If you do not have the equipment for that ask your ISP or an IT professional - Amos.

Collapse -
well
by Barakof / August 25, 2007 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: another thought

what is slow is not the internet connection speed or the memmory speed, the only slow thing is the Windows XP operating system and it all started when and as i have stated before. my linux system works just fine and fast but Windows has to think a little before every move, sometimes think a little more even. i have more than 6 GB free on the main hard drive and when it started i had even more free space than that, and Windows Defrag said it doesn't need to defrag that hard drive.
if the cables inside the computer would have been problematic then i would have noticed it long before. as i said, it worked just fine before i had to re-format that partition on the second hard drive.

in any case, thanks for the reply Amos. love the name, my brother has the same name.

Collapse -
Same thing
by adkiller2k7 / August 25, 2007 7:18 AM PDT

I'm having same trouble but i havent been struck by lightnng it feels like i got a virus everything starts up slowly other than the internet and i only use fat32 not ntfs never did convert i use diffrent anti-virus than u but same problem i think microsoft released a faulty update i was going to post this before on my own topic but i guess u have same problem i need help aswell

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?