Computer Help forum

General discussion

COMPUTER SPACE LIMITED TO 2.58 GBS OUT OF THE 35.54 GB

by kiyaamajioyi / August 14, 2007 4:21 AM PDT

I have a very serious problem. I would use my original disk defragmenter over and over on my laptop, and all of a sudden, I noticed that when I had 52% free disk space, that went to 52% fragmented space, so now I only have 6% free space on my laptop. I am trying to figure out how do I make this change. I dont want all of my fragmented files to take up that much space, I guess the fact that I kept using it caused that to happen. I don't understand how 52% of my free disk space all of a sudden went to 52% of fragmented files, with only 6% of free space. That is terrible, because I need more free space than that. So, I am trying to figure out how I can gain back my 52% free disk space, without freeing up the space that I have now, if you understand what I'm trying to say. I've also tried using Disk Keeper, but so far the results are the same. Now, I've downloaded Perfect Disk, but have not tried it yet. Someone please help me. I have a laptop- Dell Inspiron 2200 with Windows XP.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: COMPUTER SPACE LIMITED TO 2.58 GBS OUT OF THE 35.54 GB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: COMPUTER SPACE LIMITED TO 2.58 GBS OUT OF THE 35.54 GB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: please clarify.
by Kees Bakker / August 14, 2007 5:38 AM PDT

I can understand "52% free space", but I don't understand "52% fragmented space" and I really don't understand the "so" in the "so now I only have 6% free space".

Things I should do:
1. run chkdsk on the drive
2. look at free and occupied space in the properties of the c:-drive
3. empty my recycle bin
4. download I.DISK or TREESIZE or CLDUW (all free) to see in what space each folder (and subfolder) occupies (and total the folders to see what's missing).
5. clear all system restore points
6. repeat 2
to get a clear view of the situation.

May I suggest you do the same and post your findings?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: CLARIFICATION of Limited Space
by kiyaamajioyi / August 15, 2007 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: please clarify.

I did everything that you suggested for me to do, and things are still the same regarding the space on my drive. When I check the Local disk C:, it says Free Space 2.38GB and Total Size 37.2 GB. My free space used to be 52%, that has been significantly lowered since I checked my disk defragmenter program. When I ran my diskeeper defragmeter program, it says that it found 33 fragmented files and/or directories and 7,675 excess fragments. It also went further to tell me that the average number of fragments per file is 1.15. "Heavy fragmentation detected on this volume." So, the free space on the volume is low. It also says that the overall health volume of drive C is degraded. Since the free space on the volume is so low, it makes it difficult to defragment the volume. Volume fragmentation is 55%, from what I read on the program. I ran chkdsk on the drive, and it says that volume is clean after it went through all of its procedures. I emptied the recycling bin. I downloaded TreeSize and it shows that 30,091.0 MB for the Documents and Settings. And for all users its 18,296.9 MB. I cleared all system restore points also. So, what should I do now. I followed everything that you told me. I've even ran diskcleanup to try to clean up some of the things that I don't need on my drive. I'm trying to get my C drive back to the way it was when it was 52% free space, now I have 6% free space and that's definitely not enough for a laptop. I need more space than that.

Thanks,
Kiya.

I can understand "52% free space", but I don't understand "52% fragmented space" and I really don't understand the "so" in the "so now I only have 6% free space".

Things I should do:
1. run chkdsk on the drive
2. look at free and occupied space in the properties of the c:-drive
3. empty my recycle bin
4. download I.DISK or TREESIZE or CLDUW (all free) to see in what space each folder (and subfolder) occupies (and total the folders to see what's missing).
5. clear all system restore points
6. repeat 2
to get a clear view of the situation.

May I suggest you do the same and post your findings?

Kees

Collapse -
I don't see anything irregular here.
by Kees Bakker / August 15, 2007 6:43 AM PDT

C-drive is reported as 37.2 Gb, Documents and Settings is 30 Gb, and then we have Program Files and Windows folder and a swap file and that doesn't leave much free space all together.

All you can do based on this is have a look at everything (and I mean everything) that's in Documents and Settings and especially in the All Users folder. Find out what those 18 Gb is (that's about 50% of your hard disk). Delete it if you don't need it, buy a larger hard disk if you want to keep it around. You either need more space to store all your data, or you need to delete some of your current data to make space for new data. It's as simple as that.

It really helps to set Windows Explorer to detail view for all folders, so you can see the file size of each file in each folder and even sort on it.

Post with more details on those gigantic files if you are in doubt what to do with them. You'll surely understand that, without access to the computer, nobody can tell you what files these are and what you should do with them.

Kees

Collapse -
Disk Help
by kiyaamajioyi / August 16, 2007 3:04 PM PDT

Ok, I am erasing some of the things that I do not need, so I can free up the space. I want to at least get it to 15% free space, and then defragment it again to see if that might free up some more space??? Do you think that might help, since the defragmenter usually works with at least 15% of free space?? So far I'm looking at these files, but it looks like the SQL one is kind of messed up, I may have to reinstall that. My Camtasia Video Capture driver looks like it was taking up a lot of space with over 18000MBs, I'm deciding whether I need them or not.

Thanks,
Kiya.

C-drive is reported as 37.2 Gb, Documents and Settings is 30 Gb, and then we have Program Files and Windows folder and a swap file and that doesn't leave much free space all together.

All you can do based on this is have a look at everything (and I mean everything) that's in Documents and Settings and especially in the All Users folder. Find out what those 18 Gb is (that's about 50% of your hard disk). Delete it if you don't need it, buy a larger hard disk if you want to keep it around. You either need more space to store all your data, or you need to delete some of your current data to make space for new data. It's as simple as that.

It really helps to set Windows Explorer to detail view for all folders, so you can see the file size of each file in each folder and even sort on it.

Post with more details on those gigantic files if you are in doubt what to do with them. You'll surely understand that, without access to the computer, nobody can tell you what files these are and what you should do with them.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: free space
by Kees Bakker / August 16, 2007 5:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Disk Help

Let me start by correcting a misunderstanding on your side. Defragment doesn't free any space. It just reshuffles the data on the hard disk to make for a tiny little bit of faster access.

Installing a program (like "the SQL one" or a Video driver) NEVER puts anything in Documents and Settings, except a few shortcuts each 1 kB. All the space it needs goes into Program Files, generally. So whatever that 18 Gb of your Camtasia stuff is, it's not a driver. In fact, it's quite unlikely that any install, even from a full-sized DVD will use 18 Gb. It's more likely that it is a few hours (or days) of video you captured. And it's totally up to you to decide if those videos are important enough for you to keep them occupying half of your hard disk. A warning in advance: if you uninstall the program, these video files will stay where they are until you delete them.

You should be much more specific on "the SQL one is kind of messed up" to expect any help for that.

Kees

Collapse -
MORE FREE SPACE UPDATE
by kiyaamajioyi / August 21, 2007 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: free space

Thanks for correcting that for me, because I kept using the defragementer thinking that it was just freeing up so much space for me. Even though it reshuffles the data and what-not, I don't see where it makes for faster access; is that all that it does. I would like you to know thouhg, that after deleting the Camtasia thing, which after playing it, wasn't really a useful file, freed up so so so so so much space. Now I have 18.1 GB of space. Every time I logged on, it says something about the SQL writer is not working properly or something, it said that it might need to all be uninstalled and reinstalled again. Now, since I have more free space, should I still use the disk defragmenter?

Thanks for your help thus far, I really do appreciate it.

Let me start by correcting a misunderstanding on your side. Defragment doesn't free any space. It just reshuffles the data on the hard disk to make for a tiny little bit of faster access.

Installing a program (like "the SQL one" or a Video driver) NEVER puts anything in Documents and Settings, except a few shortcuts each 1 kB. All the space it needs goes into Program Files, generally. So whatever that 18 Gb of your Camtasia stuff is, it's not a driver. In fact, it's quite unlikely that any install, even from a full-sized DVD will use 18 Gb. It's more likely that it is a few hours (or days) of video you captured. And it's totally up to you to decide if those videos are important enough for you to keep them occupying half of your hard disk. A warning in advance: if you uninstall the program, these video files will stay where they are until you delete them.

You should be much more specific on "the SQL one is kind of messed up" to expect any help for that.

Collapse -
I still need some advice
by kiyaamajioyi / August 30, 2007 3:05 PM PDT
In reply to: MORE FREE SPACE UPDATE

Thanks for correcting that for me, because I kept using the defragementer thinking that it was just freeing up so much space for me. Even though it reshuffles the data and what-not, I don't see where it makes for faster access; is that all that it does. I would like you to know thouhg, that after deleting the Camtasia thing, which after playing it, wasn't really a useful file, freed up so so so so so much space. Now I have 18.1 GB of space. Every time I logged on, it says something about the SQL writer is not working properly or something, it said that it might need to all be uninstalled and reinstalled again. Now, since I have more free space, should I still use the disk defragmenter?

Collapse -
NEED SOME IMPORTANT ADVICE
by kiyaamajioyi / September 3, 2007 11:29 AM PDT

Collapse -
SQLDUMPER LIBRARY
by kiyaamajioyi / September 4, 2007 11:32 AM PDT

This is the message that I get: SQLDUMPER library failed initialization. Your installation is either corrupt or has been tampered with. Please uninstall then re-run setup to correct this problem. HOW DO I SOLVE THIS PROBLEM?

Collapse -
Have You Installed Service Pack 2 for SQL?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 5, 2007 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: SQLDUMPER LIBRARY

In addition, install NET Framework 3.0 or 2.0 and all of the NET Framework updates for 3.0 and 2.0. (They can be found at the Windows Updates site.) The Service Pack and updates should fix the problem error.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Service Pack 2 Installation for SQL Website
by kiyaamajioyi / September 7, 2007 2:27 PM PDT

What Windows Updates site??? What website is that specifically??? I am running SQL VSS writer service also. I don't know how to disable it, or if I should disable it??

Kiya

In addition, install NET Framework 3.0 or 2.0 and all of the NET Framework updates for 3.0 and 2.0. (They can be found at the Windows Updates site.) The Service Pack and updates should fix the problem error. If you are running SQL VSS writer service, try disabling it. It's only needed on server systems.

Collapse -
Windows Update From Google
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 8, 2007 3:42 AM PDT
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

(You can also access the "Windows Update" site by opening Internet Explorer, then click on "Tools-Windows Update". I find it interesting that you've never been then before.. It's a key site for keeping your computer security updates current.

If you aren't using SQL Server or creating backups from an SQL server, then you don't have to have the SQL VSS writer service enabled. It appears like it was somehow enabled and that's why you see it listed. The SQL Writer Service installs on Windows XP but is generally only needed on server systems. Try disabling it in "Services" or possibly uninstalling it from Add-Remove Programs. (Click on Start-Run, type "services.msc", then click on OK. When the "Services" window loads, scroll to the "SQL Server VSS Writer" listing, double click on it, then click on the "Stop" button to stop the service and change the "StartUp Type" line to "Disable", then click on "Apply", then OK.)

Hope this helps.

Grif
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.