Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Computer Sound Problem

by hometheaterman / February 27, 2008 3:35 AM PST

I have a custom built PC I built several years ago. I don't know if you need the specs or not but I wouldn't think any of that would matter other than the OS. I'm running Windows XP Pro and the sound card i'm using is a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

Ok here is the problem which started last week. I had my ATI All In Wonder card start acting up. The video card side of it worked fine but the capture card part would no longer work. I don't know if it's in the plug on the card or in the little box that you plug into the card then plug rca's into. Anyway I decided to just go ahead and get a TV Tuner card to replace it. This is the TV tuner I put in.
http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-WinTV-PVR-150MCE-tuner-adapter/dp/B000E65HOO/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1203303217&sr=8-2

After putting it in I noticed that the sound from anything I did was all scrambled sounding. It sounds really weird and you can't understand anything as it sounds scrambled. Well, after taking the sound card out and messing with the wires I finally got it working. I noticed the next time I restarted my PC I had this problem again. Well, last night I finally got it working again after taking the sound card out and putting it back in and restarting it several times. I thought it might be the sound card going bad or a wire. I had re-installed the drivers but that didn't fix it.

Anyways I put new wires on it today going from the sound card to the speakers. I still couldn't get it to work so I reinstalled the drivers again and it worked until I restarted. Basically I can reinstall the drivers to get it to work but every time I restart it it messes up again and I have to reinstall the drivers again. I can't figure out why this is happening after having it 3 years or so unless the drivers for the capture card somehow mess with these. Any ideas on how to fix this so I don't have to reinstall the drivers everytime I restart? Thanks guys.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Sound Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Sound Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like there maybe an IRQ conflict...
by ahtoi / February 27, 2008 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: Computer Sound Problem

between the two cards. Other than that, I don't know how to tell you what to do; and thats one of the reason I like using external devices rather internal one.

Collapse -
Should I move it to another pci slot?
by hometheaterman / February 27, 2008 6:19 AM PST

Should I try moving the sound card to another pci slot? Right now I have it installed in the 4th one and the TV tuner card installed in the 2nd one due to the fact I read reviews from people saying it needed to be in one of the first 2 slots. The sound card has always been in this slot.

Collapse -
Try?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 8:13 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?