Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer slows - locks up - Not Responding

by M0QuigleyS23 / January 9, 2010 10:07 PM PST

I have an ACER AST690-UP925A modem that is just over 2 years old. It has a 925 Pentium D processor, 1GB memory, 250GB hard drive with Windows VISTA. I use yahoo/mozilla firefox on this computer.
Lately this computer has slowed down on start ups as well as online or trying to read emails, I get a message up topside asying "NOT RESPONDING" and locks the computer up until it is free from loading or what ever it is doing.
My wife's son has had a lot of "shared" music on this computer along with leaving many albums on to which I told him to not leave on as many of those files are usually corrupt! I also think his I-tune that he loaded on here is a "bootleg" copy and is causing some of the problems!
I have used most CNET's virus protection, spy-ware, malware, and computer cleaners. None have helped get rid of this problem that I have with this computer.
Any ideas on what I should do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer slows - locks up - Not Responding
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer slows - locks up - Not Responding
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clean & Defrag
by coastie65 / January 10, 2010 5:25 AM PST

I don't know which cleaners you have used, but CCleaner & atf Cleaner from atribune are among the best. (NOTE: atf cleaner will not work with a 64 bit OS). That having been said, how much free space is left on the hard Drive? If you are somewhere south of 50% that could be a problem. Also how much stuff do have running in the background? You can deal with that by hitting the alt+tab keys and shut down stuff running in the background. Also Defragging is always helpful.

Collapse -
Computer slows - locks up - Not Respoding
by M0QuigleyS23 / January 12, 2010 9:11 AM PST

Yes I do have CCleaner and those you mentioned. All come back after running saying there is nothing found. I also de-fraged the unit. I did try the other thing you said about too many ICONS on start up but pressing the buttons as you said on this ACER has something else hooked up to that sequence so it would not do that. Is there anything with Yahoo & Mozilla Firefox might be slowing this unit down, or just too many things trying to start up at the same time?

Collapse -
Ok
by coastie65 / January 12, 2010 9:25 AM PST

You didn't say how much hard drive usage there was. Music can eat up a lot of space in a hurry. As for the bootleg stuff, that can create problems of its own. I don't know if you have done so, but if not it would be a good idea to Download and run www.malwarebytes.org ( be sure to update it as well). It is FREE for home use and very good.

Collapse -
Computer slows - locks up - Not Respoding
by M0QuigleyS23 / January 22, 2010 9:36 PM PST
In reply to: Ok

This shows on the computer that I still have 164 GB free out of 225 so that's like 30% used! I do have the malewarebytes program. I run the following and all are kept updated; Ccleaner, SuperAntiSpyware, & AVG. I did add Cyber Defender which seemed to clean up a lot of stuff, but still have the problem of it locking up and not responding some times, it also gives that message at the top on explorer/mozilla firefox.

Collapse -
Re- OK
by M0QuigleyS23 / January 22, 2010 9:41 PM PST
In reply to: Ok

I forgot to say that I deleted all extra music that I found on this computer! They hid a bunch of it in folders labeled different to keep me from seeing it! Had more than 40 albums left on and it looks as they were making copies! I had to clean out the burner too!

Collapse -
Not Good
by coastie65 / January 23, 2010 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: Re- OK

If at all Possible, Download and run www.malwarebytes.org it is FREE and very good. Be sure to update the definitions before running it. I suspect the computer is infected, particularly withthe type of activity you have described.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.