Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer Slowing Down

by Atomicsoda / November 4, 2003 10:07 AM PST

I have no idea why but lately my computer has been going EXTREMELY slow. My computer is about a year old, and I Have 256mb of RAM. I haven't installed any new parts and haven't really changed anything, but the computer slows down nonetheless. I don't have any programs running in the background (that I shouldn't) and I'm not really running any major resource-draining programs. The only error I can think of that may be causing this is the fact that I cannot shut down my computer properly, it just hangs at the 'Windows is now shutting down' screen and I just cut the power at this point. I am running on WIndows 98SE. Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Slowing Down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Slowing Down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Computer Maintenance
by Angela / November 4, 2003 10:40 AM PST
In reply to: Computer Slowing Down

Do you perform regular computer maintenance, such as emptying temporary internet files, temp files, recycle bin, histories etc... Temporary files can fill your harddrive up quit quickly and the existance of cookies and old download files can cause the slowdown of a computer.

Do you also do regular disk defragmetation to reorder the file locations on your hard-drive. 1 year is a pretty standard time for a new system to slow down if never maintenanced. When you move or delete a file on your hard-drive it is still actually located on the orginal harddrive byte/s and therefore duplicated over and over everytime you move, change or delete a file, so defrag is a must.

Check the temp of your processor and that your fans are all running. If your CPU is overheating or if your Power Supply or Memory (RAM)is on the way out, this can also cause your PC to slowdown.

I would start with the defrag and the disk cleanup using the windows maitenance tools, and then if this doesn't improve performance, you may then want to look into hardware possibilities.

Collapse -
Re:Computer Maintenance
by Atomicsoda / November 4, 2003 11:38 AM PST
In reply to: Computer Maintenance

thanks alot for the input.

Collapse -
No Worries - glad to help
by Angela / November 5, 2003 10:26 AM PST

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Collapse -
Re: Computer Slowing Down
by writerguy / November 7, 2004 10:15 PM PST

I'm experiencing pretty much the same thing. My machine seems to gradually slow down the longer it's left on until it eventually crashes. About 10-15 minutes after booting up, it becomes impossible to fully shut the machine down. It reaches the "Windows is shutting down" screen and hangs up. If I power down manually from this point, I can reboot normally. After about 30-45 minutes, the mouse/pointer operation begins to get choppy and gets continually worse as time goes on. After about 90 minutes, it takes several seconds to open even simple programs and they operate at ever-slower speeds. However, if I restart the machine, everything returns to normal and the cycle begins again. There seems to be something running in the background eating resources, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

I run Ad-Aware SE Personal and McAfee VS several times a day. So far I've found and deleted a few pests (xdldr24.exe, xwxload.exe, a backdoor-AXJ.dll file) with no noticeable effect on system performance. I've tried running the online scan at "housecall: and for some reason it never actully initiates the scan. I'm running Windows 98 SE and my available system resources seem to be fluctuating between 50-60%.

If you figure out what the problem is, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know and I'll do the same for you. Thanks

Collapse -
by douggsbc / November 8, 2004 12:26 PM PST

Sounds like it may be Spyware. Our church PC took 10 minutes or more to open up the WORD PROGRAM. I have two freeware spyware programs I use. I never run them together. Get SPYBOT at this web site http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=spybot&tg=dl-20
be sure to check for updates after you download. Look for DSO EXPLOIT when you run it. DSO EXPLOIT was the one causing most of my trouble if not all of it. I also would download Ad-Aware by Lavasoft, get latest update and run that after you finish with Spybot Search and Destroy. The website for AdAware is http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=adaware&tg=dl-2001&search.x=27&search.y=8

Hope this helps, good luck.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 8, 2004 7:37 PM PST

I would just add to doug's advice.

In addition to Spybot, download and install Spywareblaster from http://www.javacoolsoftware.com

It compliments SPybot and immunises against spyware that Spybot doesn't find, eg it is better at ActiveX protection.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.