Computer Help forum

Question

Computer slow even after restoring computer.

My computer specs are
i7 930
24gb ram
2gb 760gt graphics card

Ok so my computer is about 4 years old now and I feel like something is wrong. My computer is very slow doing stuff it use to do pretty efficiently. I download a lot which I understands corrupts the computer but every so often I restore my computer to factory settings, re install the OS and even afterwards it still feels slow.

I dont get the frame rate I use to, and loading times are just insane. I have looked at the CPU and memory usage and both are pretty low but the speed is just not there anymore.

I feel like the Hard Drive is going out, its the only thing I can think of that would affect the loading times and why even after a system restore the load times and performance is hampered.

So my question is do you think this is the problem? If so what do you recommend? I know SSD is probably the way to go but storage is an issue, I have 500gb right now and contantly have to uninstall stuff to make sure I dont go into the red. So I would think and SSD with a HD would work but have never done that before. What do I put on the SSD and what do I put on the HD, most of the stuff is games and programs on my computer. What are some good recommendations for SSD or SSD/HD combo?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer slow even after restoring computer.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer slow even after restoring computer.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
You didn't mention cleaning

In reply to: Computer slow even after restoring computer.

Overheating can cause a CPU to step down in order to save itself. As well,about that 24 gigs of RAM...what type of modules and how are they configured? There are no identical pair sets that add up to 24 gigs so you must have a mixture. In such cases, we try to find two identical modules of largest size, pair them, and remove the rest just to test.

Collapse -
RAM is the same.

In reply to: You didn't mention cleaning

They are all the same. 6 4gb of CORSAIR Vengeance.

My CPU is liquid cooled so I havent done anything to clean the CPU really since I dont know how that all works really and didnt want to take that off, the rest of the computer I use can air often.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That's old enough for not only cleaning

But heatsink dry out issues. It's time.
Bob

Collapse -
claification

In reply to: That's old enough for not only cleaning

Not understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying I should replace my heatsink to my CPU? Mine is liquid cooled and never really messed with it, what do I do with that?

Collapse -
It's the compound that tends to dry out.

In reply to: claification

I'd re-do the GPU as well when I'm in there. It's old enough to need the usual work.
Bob

Collapse -
PS, for clarity.

In reply to: It's the compound that tends to dry out.

This is not a for sure going to fix it answer. It's only on the list due to the age of the machine. It could be the HDD has begun to have issues or that "restore" didn't have the right effect.

There's also a few kinds of restores. I would be guessing which it was.
Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: PS, for clarity.

How I restore the computer is insert the OS disk, restart the computer press the f7, f9,.f11, which ever one it is, get to the system restore, reformat the hard drive and reinstall the OS.

Ill try getting a new heatsink as well though.

Collapse -
Again, no new heatsink. Just the compound.

In reply to: ..

As to the OS disk, almost all machines would be slow after such. There are some dozen steps after we install Windows which I've yet to find anyone list because your PC is unique.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
if you just reinstall

computers will slow with age no matter what you do. however, if you just reinstalled, it will usually take a few days before it will get back some of the speed. some of the following could be what is causing the slowing. computer is being indexed, windows could be updating, you need to update the drivers from the computer manufacturers and other.

If you think the drive is going out, run seatools and have it check your drive. It will only check not fix for non seagate drives. If you want it to fix while it is checking then run the diagnostic utility from the drives manufacturer.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Collapse -
Answer
check BIOS settings

make sure you have all the correct settings for RAM speed and CPU.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.