General discussion

Computer slow

I have an eMachine T3306 with an AMD Sempron processor 3300. It had 524mb memory and was running very slow. I recently upgraded memory to 2 gb but it didn't help. I have defragmented the hd and done everything that I could think of to increses the speed. It appears that something is running most of the time but I can't find out what it is. Is there some way to find out what is running or how to speed up the computer.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Computer slow
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Computer slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That machine was never quick.

I wonder if you are comparing this Sempron machine to some other faster computer?

- Collapse -
computer slow

When I bought the machine it was twice as fast as it is now. I am running windows XP with Norton Internet security & Systemworks on it.

- Collapse -
You just gave up a good clue.

I slammed Systemworks years ago over a bug they let out the door. Norton and this can consume a machine's CPU and you should expect to run at about half speed given all the things it must do with that software.

Members have learned this on their own and share daily replacements.

If this was my machine I'd consider ejecting Norton, using forum favorites instead and a scan with MBAM and Superantispyware to be sure. Both those titles are free (if you are asked for payment then you went to the wrong site) and find items Symantec didn't look for.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info