HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer Shutting off When Starting up Games. PSU?

by Trewper / August 5, 2010 6:32 AM PDT

(on windows 7 (x64)
i bought my computer on sep 23, 2007 and have been playing the same games i am trying to play now with no problems at all.
But for the past 2 weeks my computer has been shutting off when starting up graphics intensive games, no BSOD, so i turned off Automatic restart in the Advanced Startup and Recovery settings to see if the bsod was showing up, but i was just missing it. Nope, the computer just turned right off, as if someone pulled the power plug. I set automatic restart on power failure to ON in my BIOS to see what would happen. Again my computer just shut off and stayed off. To turn the computer back on all i have to do is press the power button, no unplugging or resetting.

The graphics card i am using is a
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB (see other system specs below)
I have installed it in a separate computer with a 375w power supply, dual core processor, and 3 gigs of ram and can run these games with no problem, so either the card is okay, or this system cant push the GPU enough for it to fail because of small PSU, etc.

Back to my original computer. It does not shut off if i start my games on low settings, then in-game i set them higher, however if i set them too high my computer will still shut off.
I have placed an older card, a Nvidia Geforce 7900 GS in the system and can run the same games I'm trying to play on the 8800, on any graphics setting, without my system shutting off. I'm assuming because it is much less power hungry.

I think it is the PSU because I'm not getting any errors at all, not even in the system log. Its not an overheating problem as i keep the computer dust free, and have recently changed the thermal compound on the GPU and CPU with non-conductive thermal compound. And i can run games forever with no overheating issues, my CPU temp will sit at 40

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Shutting off When Starting up Games. PSU?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Shutting off When Starting up Games. PSU?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just A Couple Of Thoughts...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 10:07 AM PDT

1. Indeed, the power supply is a good possibility.. Swap in another power supply and see how it goes..

2. Running games at higher temps that normal are not good on a motherboard.. (40 -50 C is fairly warm for a CPU.) Open up the case and look at the capacitors for any leaking or swollen parts.. Bad caps are frequently a cause of the symptoms you're seeing.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thannks for the advice.
by Trewper / August 5, 2010 6:20 PM PDT

Okay, i looked at all the caps and they all look perfectly fine.
As i don't have another power supply to test in my system, i guess I'm forced to bring my computer to a computer tech so they can use their parts.
which also means i will be stuck staring at my Starcraft 2 case for another week and a half... *sigh*

I searched for a while and i couldn't find anyone having the same problem. Most shut down from overheating or randomly in the middle of the game for some reason, which isn't the problem in this case.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.