HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer shuts off randomly, (Not Temperature)

by toshikami / November 9, 2009 1:40 AM PST

Guys this has been breaking my head for weeks... i just got a old Sony PCG-F190 running windows XP, the computer runs fine and we use only for the net and a really old game but the computer will shut of randomly sometimes when starting or going online but strangely enough never during the game (starcraft) I've changed the power settings to always on and used speedfan to check the temperature but last time it shut off was way below max (going down from 48C to 46C) also when it shuts off the power light remains on but the pc usage light (the yellow one) shuts off and i have to turn the computer completely off and back on.

Can anyone help me with this one?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer shuts off randomly, (Not Temperature)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer shuts off randomly, (Not Temperature)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
pc usage light...
by d_adams / November 9, 2009 1:49 AM PST

hard drive light? That means your hard drive was shut off. Could be a bad hard drive. Also, it could be a bad graphics driver. My old Dell used to hang up nearly daily and show a rather interesting (though completely unnavigable) pattern of colored lines, due to an outdated graphics driver. This seems a bit unlikely to turn the entire machine off, though; it should just hang up the display. Maybe you should try updating ALL your drivers, and if it still crashes, try a different hard drive.

Collapse -
Weird behaviour
by toshikami / November 9, 2009 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: pc usage light...

There actually is a line that goes right through the middle of the screen but its just a different shade dunno if its a physical problem or the graphic card but when it shuts off even the Ethernet light goes off i been running tests all morning and i cant get anywhere not even a dump log to give me a idea. And i dont see how the power supply could be at fault like i said ive stayed hours inside the game at full screen without shutting off but sometimes it will shut off as im in google after 10 minutes using it grrr >.<

Thanks for the quick reply though

Collapse -
I'd say bad power supply
by Jimmy Greystone / November 9, 2009 1:56 AM PST

I'd say a bad power supply is the root of your problems. Which is one of the better things to have fail if anything's going to fail. Fairly cheap and easy to replace.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.