Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer shuts off completely

by nimabear / July 2, 2010 5:33 PM PDT

Hi.
basically...my computer turns off when i play games or watch movies, like completely. then it just turns back on normally. i bought a new graphics card since it seemed like that was the case and i could run games longer than usual but it still shut off after about an hour. everything seems fine inside the computer too.
if anyone knows anything that could help that would be greatly appreciated. i'm not too great with computers as you can see :/
my specs are
pentium(R) dual-core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
DDR2 dual channel 2048 Mbytes
Radeon HD 4350

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer shuts off completely
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer shuts off completely
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your computer...
by Papa Echo / July 2, 2010 7:21 PM PDT

... restarts or reboots while you play games or watch video.

Try updating the drivers for your video card, and upgrading DirectX to version 9.0c

Otherwise, scan for viruses.

Collapse -
my computer
by nimabear / July 2, 2010 7:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Your computer...

it just turns off and stays like that
alright i'll try doing that...i'll get back on results
if anyone else has opinions please let me know

Collapse -
It turns off and stys like that ??
by Papa Echo / July 2, 2010 8:01 PM PDT
In reply to: my computer

In your initial post, you mentioned "...then it just turns back on normally...". Which version is correct ? Different situations, different solutions.

Collapse -
my computer
by nimabear / July 3, 2010 5:50 AM PDT

i meant like if i press the power button again it turns on like nothing happen, no errors or anything

Collapse -
And...
by Papa Echo / July 3, 2010 5:28 PM PDT

chkdsk [check disk ] runs to check your disk for errors ?

Collapse -
Then at least four possibilities...
by Papa Echo / July 3, 2010 5:37 PM PDT
In reply to: And...

1. Heat - caused by dust and other dirt sucked in;
2. Power supply faults;
3. Mother board - e.g. bulging and leaking capacitors;
4. Virus and other malware.

Collapse -
my computer
by nimabear / July 3, 2010 1:18 PM PDT

bump

Collapse -
Is your computer clean inside?
by Brechan / July 3, 2010 6:09 PM PDT

When was the last time the 'dust bunnies' were blown out of it? http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-6240575-1.html?tag=forums06;posts

Have you checked for any error messages (Start-control Panel-System and Maintenance-Performance Information and tools-Windows Error reporting) after the computer crashes?

Could be any from the PSU failing to a hard drive about to fail.

Collapse -
You forgot to set your power comsumption preferences.
by LucJPatenaude / July 4, 2010 12:24 PM PDT

When system is on: Go to Control Panel, Power Manager, set the period of the auto shut down to Never and sleep mode to Never. None for the screen-saver also. In the Display one, Power Saving mode to Never as well.

Do that help? Hope it does. BTW: get yourself another 2Gb of RAM. That will bring the whole RAM to 4Gb(Dual Channel of the same FSB speed).
Wink

Collapse -
RAM vs 32 bit O/S
by Brechan / July 4, 2010 9:22 PM PDT

The poster has not stated if he using a 32 bit or 64 bit O/S; adding another 2GB's of RAM to a 32 bit system will not help, as the system will not show all of the 4GB's.
As for power preferences; the poster isn't saying his computer goes to 'sleep', he's saying that his computer shuts off...big difference.

Collapse -
my computer
by nimabear / July 5, 2010 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: RAM vs 32 bit O/S

yes i have cleaned out the computer, and there is nothing in the error report. i run on windows xp 32 bit

Collapse -
No report of any errors = I get to be right anyway.
by LucJPatenaude / July 5, 2010 1:56 PM PDT

Is your system shutting down unexpectedly, still?

If yes, you will need to cool it off in further. One or two more case fans will not hurt and, they do not take that much power from the PSU.

Overheating always = Auto-shutdown of the main system.
Wink

Collapse -
my computer
by nimabear / July 5, 2010 3:28 PM PDT

but i checked the cpu temperature and it was at normal temperatures. my friend said it might be a problem with the psu. do you guys agree?

Collapse -
Comparison with my own machine.
by LucJPatenaude / July 5, 2010 4:31 PM PDT

I have a 2.50Ghz CPU. The exact same graphics/video card. The same DD2 type of RAM but, I have two cards at 800Mhz of speed with a 3Gb of RAM capacity. My chipset is from AMD/ATI and yours is from Intel's.

Once, the clean-up of the interior of the case and, the power management is set to shut down at Never. I would now presume that, yes, it is the faulty PSU but, then again, being short of a mere 1Gb of RAM could, also, be the culprits.

Adding this extra 1Gb of RAM and, changing this faulty PSU is the sure bet at resolving all issues.

I know, fix fix fix, repair repair repair. The everlasting chore of PC maintenance. Good Luck! Wink

Collapse -
I agree
by Brechan / July 5, 2010 6:02 PM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!