Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

computer shuts down

by tomron / December 9, 2004 10:57 AM PST

Sometimes the computer shuts down(though its rare)it happens very fast,but what I am able to read is "beginning physical memory dump" .After this it reboots. OS 2K pro In case the amount of memory is needed,this is what it says in system properties-97,824KB RAM
Thanks,
Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer shuts down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer shuts down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: computer shuts down
by Willy / December 9, 2004 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: computer shuts down

First off, maybe off the topic, I would find more ram for your system. Running win2000 on 96mb, is pretty darn low, real low on resources.

Your problem maybe heat or power realted. These are areas to look at and proceed from there. Remove case cover and inspect for dust which retains heat on componets, blow it out. Then verify *all* are running and clean them as well for best operation. if your system is slightly noisy, it could an intermit fan operation, thus inspect well. A failed fan at the power supply will eventaully cause the whole p/s unit to fail as well, so replace. There's no repair here just replace and with a higher wattage one at that. To help determine a heat problem, usualy best to blow a home fan inside to cool it further and if problem seems to settle down that maybe it, too hot. Over time, componets do degrade and reboots or shutdowns are a result.

good luck Happy -----Willy

Collapse -
by tomron / December 9, 2004 12:41 PM PST

Hi willy,
I recently took care of dust.There is no noise and the fan works.To be sure,checked it again,clean and working.No heat,nice and cool.I don't know if this is relevant,but the capicity on the disk is 18.6GB-used 1.84GB
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
by tomron / December 10, 2004 9:50 AM PST

If the dust or power supply is not the cause,does anyone have any other ideas.
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 10, 2004 10:34 AM PST

Tomron,

There are lots of possible issues including the ones about unnecessary start up programs which we have discussed before. Did you follow all of the clean up steps mentioned earlier to shut down unnecessary servicess and start up processes?. If you've done all of that, plus replaced the power supply, then you need to start troubleshooting other areas. Try replacing the RAM you have. Bad RAM can cause the issue. Try replacing the motherboard. Old, blown, or leaking motherboard capacitors can cause the issue. Maybe a new hard drive...Then again, if you're not into all of the technical stuff, a new machine may be in order.

The link below might give you some more ideas for troubleshooting the problem:

Windows 2000 Troubleshooting: Analyzing Memory Dumps

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by tomron / December 10, 2004 11:23 AM PST

Hi Grif,
I have MSCONFIG(by means of the link you supplied).The problem is choosing which ones,also if I go to control panel>administrative tools>services,would the results be the same as using MSCONFIG.As far as power supply,boards,ram,and so on,due to my present situation there is nothing I can do about that at this time.
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
Tom, Nope, 'Services' And 'Msconfig' Are Different....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 10, 2004 12:32 PM PST

...things..."Msconfig" lists "processes" or programs while "Services" are diffent background items. Each must be shut down in different ways. ONce again, follow the instructions in this link to shut down unnecessary "services":

Windows 2000
http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm

And search for "msconfig" items in the link below:

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

And it those don't fix it, then you have no other choice than to troubleshoot hardware items.....or buy a new computer...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Hi Grif, msconfig and services
by tomron / December 14, 2004 10:40 PM PST

You say msconfig and services are different,and I understand.What I noticed is in msconfig,click on services tab it is the same as control panel>administrative tools>services,thats what I was getting at.Regarding the black viper site,the forth sentence states "listing under safe manual".In services I only see the options for manual,automatic,and disabled,do you know where this safe manual is,I sure don't see it.I found a site very helpful for this very situation and much more also.Go to google,type PCNINEONEONE>on the left click on HOW-TO'S,then click on SPEED UP WINDOWS 2000.
Thanks,
Tom
P.S. If you find where the "safe manual is,please let me know

Collapse -
Tom, About The Black Viper Sentence
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 15, 2004 1:41 AM PST

Please read that sentence again...It says: "Put your setting to "manual" or the listing under "Safe." ". The "manual" setting refers to the setting in the "Services" window. The "Safe" description refers to Black Viper's chart in the lower section of the page where he refers to a column named "Safe".

If you look at the chart on that page, I usually create "Services" settings that combine the "Safe" column and the "Gaming System" column.

Thanks for the PC911 information. I am familiar with that site and it provides good tutorials. The PC911 site and it's "Speed Up 2000" link provide good information. (Click HERE For That Link) Unfortunately, it only gives advice on a "few" of the available services. The Black Viper site provides a chart which identifies "most" of the normal services and provides a variety of options for you to choose from. Use both sites for a good comparison.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by Willy / December 10, 2004 11:39 AM PST

Upon boot-up get into the bios area and check to see what the voltages are. The voltages will flucuate abit but if it does it alot, then a flaky power supply. If your system came with a mtrbd/system CD, check to see if it has a "monitoring" s/w. That way once system is up, review those results. Check the "over temp" setting as well, its not too low and may cause a shutdown/reboot. Of course you can also, use the CMOS clearing pins to go back to defaults and reset just the basics, save them, proceed to finsish booting. If it seems stable them, maybe a setting was way off or incorrect. A flaky p/s is hard to check other to swap to save time and hassle. Older p/s units do degrade or if you had memorable power problems(AC line) it can effect the p/s too. Also, WAG, but bad crimping on some power connections can cause problems, plus check the ATX power connector for browning(discoloration) or melted plastic in that area.

good luck Happy -----Willy

Collapse -
by tomron / December 10, 2004 12:17 PM PST

Hi Willy,
I hit F8,did not see BIOS.Did not come with Cd.How do you check OVER TEMP.CMOS PINS,don't know.WAG,don't know.I opened case yesterday to check for dust and other problems,there were none.Willy,the forum title is NEWBIE.
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
Entering Bios
by dsrtflyr / December 15, 2004 1:07 AM PST

If F8 does not start BIOS,(Basic Input Output System) turn off your computer. Not restart, but turn it off completely, and wait 10 sec. Turn your comp on and press and hold down DELETE key. This will bring up our computer BIOS config. You may have to try this a couple of times to get it right.(some systems require the the CONTROL key).To change screens, press your right or left horiz arrows. Under BOOT, find power settings. Good luck, Frank

Collapse -
Enterening Bios
by tomron / December 15, 2004 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: Entering Bios

Hi Frank,
It worked,I did'nt know about the delete key at start up.
I found power settings,but did not find voltage settings.
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
by lizzyhock / December 10, 2004 3:25 PM PST

You may have too many programs running at one time. Sometimes you may even have unknown programs running at windows startup. Try this when you get it up and running: wait about 1 minute after it boots up in normal mode. Then hit your Ctrl Alt Del buttons all at once. This will show you what programs are running, using your memory. The programs your computer and you are not using you can highlight and hit the end task button.
Now go to to start click on 'run' type in 'msconfig' when the window comes up click on the 'startup' tab, uncheck any programs you don't want to start up when windows starts up. For instance real player, media player, msn messenger, aim, ect.
You can manually start any of these programs when you are ready for them to start.
Once you are done editing and you hit apply and ok it will have to restart your computer before the new settings will take place. If this doesn't work you might try running a spyware scan or a virus scan in safe mode. Avast is a good free virus scanner and adaware, and spybot are real good spyware scanner programs.

Collapse -
by tomron / December 10, 2004 5:40 PM PST

Hi Lizzyhock,
I tried ctrl-alt-del the applications tab only shows cnet.Windows 2K pro does not come with msconfig,I installed it.I clicked on the start up tab in msconfig and there are only 9 running,such as mobsync,sistray,smtray,carpserv,jusched(java),smc(sygate firewall),avgcc(anti virus),avgemc(antivirus),and microsoft office,OK,which ones do I uncheck.Ran spyware and antivirus scan in normal and safe mode.
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
WIN 98 shut down problems
by dsrtflyr / December 15, 2004 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: computer shuts down

Tom, go to your search engine, on the Internet,google, dogpile, etc, and type windows 98 problems,in the search window. It will give a whole series of problems and how to resolve them. It has shut down troubles at the beginning. Frank

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Frank, I Believe Tom Is Using Windows 2000?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 15, 2004 4:59 AM PST
Collapse -
Hi Grif/Frank
by tomron / December 15, 2004 5:48 AM PST

Thanks for the help.I tried to respond earlier but the cable company had a problem,so I lost my connection.Frank,you said something about checking the voltages in BIOS,I hit delete,BIOS came on,I saw the power tab,but nothing about voltages,in post10 of 17 there's a mention to check voltage,check where?Grif is right,my OS is WIN 2000K PRO.
Thanks,
Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?