PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Computer Shut Down

by aufde / January 22, 2008 12:39 AM PST

I have been having this problem for a while now, but is getting progressively worse. My computer shuts down when I am running CPU intensive things, so I am assuming that it is my CPU. I think it may be my power supply too, but I'm not sure.

I am running:
Intel pentium 4 3.4gig processor
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series graphics card
2 512 sticks of RAM (not sure what kind though)

My processor runs at around 55

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Shut Down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Shut Down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Get some fresh paste.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2008 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: Computer Shut Down
Collapse -
Maybe damaged already
by Willy / January 22, 2008 2:33 AM PST

As Robert mentioned, just replace the heatsink paste. Remember to use only a dab of it, not too much or little. Be sure the cpu fan is 100% running. When heat was present from before it could have stressed the componets, and its important to understand it is now maybe too late, the weak link is stressing out and causes a shutdown for whatever reason. If not the cpu, then psu comes into play. Leave the side cover off and see what happens after paste is replaced. AND if you haven't already clean the dust bunnies out.

You said:
"The only reason I don't think it's an overheating problem is, it shuts down right when I start my computer. Yesterday, I pushed the power button and it shut down in a second or two. And this happens after the computer has been off for the whole day, so it couldn't be hot anymore."
\\\\\\\\
As I explained above, the weak link is already affected, so heat damage maybe present. In other words don't take anything for granted. Also, check the bios "over temp" setting, it can be set to reboot or shutdown, what are the results if you reset that?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Replaced thermal paste
by aufde / January 28, 2008 10:29 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe damaged already

K... I changed the heatsink paste and have been running my computer with the side off. At this point I'm positive the damage has been done already. I'm not really optimistic about a quick fix.

Now, I just want to figure out what needs to be replaced. I talked to someone about it, and he said it's most likely my CPU or my Motherboard. He said it also could be my RAM(I have 2 512mb sticks) I took one out and it still happened, then switched them and it still happened, so I don't think it's my RAM.

If anyone has any easy ways of testing my CPU, power supply, or motherboard, anything would be appreciated.

Collapse -
That CPU has some protection in it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2008 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: Replaced thermal paste

It's unlikely to take damage (we can watch the tomshardware video) but random reboots are often traced back to aging or overtaxed power supplies (did you tell what you used?) or a failed memory stick.

Here's a test I use -> http://www.memtest86.com

The only good result is zero errors regardless how long you run it.

Bob

Collapse -
Any beeps when it restarts?
by Dango517 / January 29, 2008 12:28 AM PST

listen closely, remember there pattern, it's sort of like Morse code.

Collapse -
by aufde / January 29, 2008 10:13 AM PST

I don't know if I should laugh or not, cause I can't tell if your serious.

But, it doesn't restart, it shuts down, but the caps lock light on my keyboard stays on. I have to hold the on button to shut it down completely.

And, like I said in my previous post, I don't think its the RAM, because I tested them by themselves(unless of course, both of them failed), but I will do the memtest86 or w/e it was and get back to you.

I can't see what my power supply is. Sometime tonight I'll take it off and see if I can figure out what it is.

Collapse -
power supply
by aufde / January 29, 2008 11:03 AM PST
In reply to: ...

My power supply is Rosewill value series RU450. Model number AP500X. 450W max power.

I must be ******** or something, because I can't figure out how to use the memtest86. Could you tell me step by step the way to make a cd-rom of it.

I unzipped it and burned it to a cd. I set my BIOS to boot from my DVD drive, but it didn't find anything there, so it booted from my HD.

Collapse -
"I unzipped it and burned it to a cd. " Oopps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2008 9:30 PM PST
In reply to: power supply

That's an ISO file so if you put that on a CD, oopps. Instead you need to create the CD from the ISO "image". You didn't tell what software you use so I can't tell you exactly what to do except you never put the file on a CD, you create the CD from the ISO image...

Bob

Collapse -
Nope, not kidding
by Dango517 / January 29, 2008 12:37 PM PST
In reply to: ...
Collapse -
There is another possibility here
by Dango517 / January 29, 2008 10:36 PM PST
In reply to: Nope, not kidding

RAM that is faulty or in the wrong place. Run this test.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Have you made any changes with your RAM? Check your manual to see if it's mounted in the PC correctly. 0 (zero) is the slot closest to the CPU.

Collapse -
Might be the power supply
by aufde / January 29, 2008 12:00 PM PST

I was thinking about what could be wrong, and I was looking through my BIOS settings and went to the power tab. It said something about saving power, so I changed that. It was ACPI suspend state, I changed it from S1 state to S3 state. I'm not sure exactly what it does, but it seemed to make my computer shut down after a longer time.

This might just be my imagination and it is completely unrelated, but if someone could give an explanation, that'd be great.

I'd much rather buy a new power supply than a new CPU, so I'm hoping it's the power supply at this point.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!