Desktops forum

General discussion

Computer Shorts out after running bios check

by thrillgraphics / March 23, 2004 8:53 PM PST

Just when I thought I had this issue figured out (thought it was an overheating problem) it comes back to haunt me.

Computer: Gigabyte MB, P4 3.0Ghz, 1x 512MB PC3200 DDR, 128 MB Radeon 9600 graphics card, 400 Watt Pwr Sply

With a cold machine, from start-up, the system goes through the bios configuration checks, and begins loading the O/S from the HD, it then simply shuts off! Sometimes when it is running, the system would just freeze, and I have to do a hard restart to turn it off, and then the shorting-out ensues.

There are no error beeps when the system is turned on, I checked the MB battery (just checking everything) it was fine, the system is not overheating I've kept the case open and even blew a house fan into it (system temps were mild also), as far as I can see, the MB does not have direct contact with the case that would cause a short.

I am COMPLETEY STUMPED! I don't know if I have a faulty processor, power supply, DDR, MB! Faulty case (buttons/connectors)?

ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Shorts out after running bios check
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Shorts out after running bios check
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Computer Shorts out after running bios check
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2004 9:19 PM PST

Have you tried another bigger power supply? They tend to fib about that Watt number.

Why not make this a warranty issue? The machine is very new.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Computer Shorts out after running bios check
by thrillgraphics / March 23, 2004 10:13 PM PST

I built the machine myself, I would make it a warrenty issue, but I need to know which component is causing me stress, then go to that manufacturer.

My greatest suspect is the power supply, so I'll replace that first, if not the issue, onto the MB, if not the issue, onto the....

I mean, I'm up to suggestions on how to trouble-shoot it before I completely re-build it.

Collapse -
Light reading about PSUs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2004 10:30 PM PST

The first one is about picking a wattage size. The second reveals that too many units "fib" about the number.

Lesson? Just get the big one.

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040122/
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/

Troubleshoot? You can try reducing the load. Are there more than one hard disk? Can you unplug the CD/DVD drives? What else can go?

And the non-negotiable item. Latest BIOS. Some won't do this either because they think a new board would have the latest (ring the Jeopardy buzzer please...) or they are afraid.

In closing, without spare parts, there is no certain way to find the dead/undersized or such part. The PC design isn't including diagnostics.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!