Computer Help forum

Question

Computer sending but not receiving packets wirelessly.

by alexcsstone / May 11, 2011 6:49 AM PDT

I recently set up a network for my father to run a timing system for swim meets. It is a simple network that connects 3 computers wirelessly to a router where an additional computer and a network hard drive are connected via wire. The computers that are giving me a hard time are 2 acer netbooks that connect wirelessly. The network functioned as designed for months until inexplicably the router dumped some settings that I put in place. The system reverted back to a default ip addressing scheme of 10.0.0.X when I had told it to use 192.167.1.x. I had MAC address reservations and filtering enabled with some network printers with static IP addresses. I corrected that headache and everything seemed fine until the 2 netbooks ceased to receive packets but seemed to be sending packets fine wirelessly. The strange thing is that the netbooks have no problem connecting to the network wired. I have checked all of the settings. NIC diagnostic pings come back normal along with running ipconfig. I set the netbooks to a static ip address and confirmed connectivity wired then switched to wireless to no avail. I have also tried WinSockfix, still no results. Both computers are currently set to obtain ip addresses automatically and both get the ip address reserved for them. I have looked over ever other applicable post and attempted the fixes found there to no avail as well. I feel like I am just overlooking a subtle problem. Any ideas to fix the issue?

Oh, at one point I thought it might have been destructive interference from neighboring wireless routers. KisMAC confirmed that there were multiple networks in the area on static channels(4,6,8,9, and 11) with signal strengths high enough to potentially cause a problem. I switch the router to a static channel(channel 1) not being used by the other networks. No change.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer sending but not receiving packets wirelessly.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer sending but not receiving packets wirelessly.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I Had A Similar Problem Lately That Was Fixed By...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 11, 2011 8:50 AM PDT

Changing the router settings to Channel 11, making sure the SSID broadcast IS displayed/enabled, and by making sure the "Beacon Interval" is 100 or less.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
No luck, Can a computer just decide to not like WPA?
by alexcsstone / May 11, 2011 12:47 PM PDT

A new symptom appeared when I was trying your fix...

So I was working with the router settings to try your suggestion, which unfortunately didn't work, when I thought that the problem could be the encryption. It didn't occur to me earlier because the network was working fine up until the weird, unexplainable hiccup the system had. Until this point I was using WPA as the encryption. It dawned on me that the computers had no problem connecting to my dad's home network that uses WEP (I have been trying to get him to upgrade to a router that supports WPA for years but now I am glad he didn't because I would still be screaming). I figured I would give it a shot and drop the encryption all together to get a connection. Voila! Connected with no problems, and I kicked myself for not performing such a basic diagnostic test. It is obvious now that the problem lies with the clients not the router and more specifically the 2 Acer netbooks.

My new question is, has anyone encountered a computer that decided it no longer wanted to work with WPA?

Since the computers are practically clones of each other, could there have been an update that caused them not to function on wireless networks using WPA?

I have seen computers and networks do some pretty strange things but this one continues to baffle me.

Collapse -
Try Updating The Wireless Adapter Drivers On Those Computers
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 12, 2011 2:46 AM PDT

At this point in time, WEP is basically worthless and can be hacked in a few minutes by someone who wants to gain access to the system.. As such, you definitely should be using WPA encryption security on your computer. Try updating the adapter drivers from the driver manufacturer's website to hopefully gain updated encryption support.

And yes, WPA is more complex, (the best being WPA2 at his time), and as such older computer may, or may not support SPA standards.. Quite a few support WPA but don't support WPA2.. If there is an option on the router, you might try using WPA vs WPA2.. The computers might support the slightly older WPA.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!