Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer Screen Black

by jada_2008 / July 1, 2009 1:35 PM PDT

HI, I have an emachine pentium 4 desktop this morning my husband was goofing off with the control panel settings and went to display and changed the monitor setting from enable to disable then he applied the changes (i know not the smartest move but..) now when the computer turns on it shows the emachine loading i can go in bios mode etc but by the time the computer should be at the log in screen its all black i cant get to the control panel because i cant see the screen but i can tell the computer is working please help

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Can you get into the "Safe Mode" list of options?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 9:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Computer Screen Black
How to enter Safe Mode.

As I understand it, in Safe Mode the system only uses generic drivers, and so the display will be analog VGA display. So it may be possible to access Display Properties in Safe Mode to re-select the monitor.

Trouble is, I am not sure if those options will be availabe in Safe Mode, but it is worth a try.

Mark
Collapse -
Safe Mode
by jada_2008 / July 2, 2009 2:19 AM PDT

WHEN I TRY TO ENTER SAFE MODE IT LOADS ALL THE DRUVERS (EXAMPLE- MULTI (0) DISK (0) PARTION(1) WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/DRIVERS) THE WHOLE SCREEN FILLS UP WITH THAT BUT THEN IT WILL GET STUCK ON THAT SCREEN

Collapse -
That doesn't look good then.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 2, 2009 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Safe Mode

There is another option in the Safe Mode list, called "last known good configuration".

Try that.

But if that fails, then your options are limited, and it looks like either a Repair Install, which should not delete any personal files, but that is not gauranteed, or a complete Reinstall, and that will wipe everything and you start again. For both, you will need the XP installation CD and the Drivers CD that came with the system.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!