Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

Resolved Question

Computer says can't find harddrive but it just starts window

by qngo91 / October 20, 2011 9:54 AM PDT

So I recently built myself a computer. It workes, but whenever I boot the computer it goes the motherboard label and then goes to saying no harddrive detected. But it just goes back to the motherboard logo and starts windows.

qngo91 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer says can't find harddrive but it just starts window
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer says can't find harddrive but it just starts window
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by qngo91

Collapse -
I've seen this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 3:04 PM PDT

The BIOS was set for a second drive but the first drive was fine. The owner needed more dialog about how this dated system works.

-> Don't you think it's time for a new system where the machines autoconfigure and just work?
Bob

Collapse -
Oh yeah
by Willy / October 21, 2011 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: I've seen this.

I think you know well that things have gotten quite simplified. It boils down to the capability of a person reading or having access to instructions. The steps involved aren't that complicated but the ease to fall adrift is also easy. I would hate to think that as a true, "plug and play" setup that no glitches arise, but unfortunately the human factor is all too present. Wink -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Specs
by qngo91 / October 21, 2011 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh yeah

It's a asus p8p67 evo motherboard
I7 2600k
Seagate barracuda 1tb
Multi DVD drive. F
I checked bios for which is te master and slave and it's my only hdd. For te bios it's simplified to boot priority. Which is my only hdd.

Collapse -
The cluse may be the master and slave.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2011 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Specs

That drive is SATA and there are no master and slaves in SATA. I think you found it. But again, the maker of the machine needs to tell you which setting to change as I can't see the screens.
Bob

Collapse -
Screen
by qngo91 / October 21, 2011 6:04 AM PDT

When the screen pops up it said maxell 5.0gb ahc mode or something like that then it said hdd can't be found. Press space to continue. But it automatically start up. For that motherboard it had maxell sata 6.0 gbs and another sata 6.0 gb then 4 3.0 gb which is what my hdd is hooked up too.

Collapse -
Interesting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2011 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Screen

It appears this is some custom PC. Since it is, you should ask the maker to give you the correct BIOS settings.
Bob

Collapse -
Look it over
by Willy / October 21, 2011 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Specs

I *assume* you have a Seagate HD that's SATA type. Then that's the reason for 3.0 and 6.0Gb which is the xfer speed of the i/o. You have to be sure that the HD supports at least 3.0gb, there should be a jumper for that or follow whatever the Seagate offers. Then make darn sure you're on SATA port 1 or 0, whichever the numbering starts as. Guessing again, because your DVD drive is F, it should be D under typical situations. That's makes me ask, is your 1Tb HD "partitioned"? Partitioning makes logical HDs out of physical HD, so I need to know what the status of use for the HD is. Also, under the bios they may offer you a selection of boot device and you can force it to boot from SATA port #(whatever you make it). Since, I didn't research the specs of the mtrbd., I suggest you do it. Because, somewhere you got off on the wrong foot. This is why, I ask for details. That means the actual model# or HD, type, mtrbd., what cpu, etc., and not just same its a 1Tb HD by Seagate. I gather clues as what to pass on when you provide such and get back on track. Otherwise, I'm 2nd guessing here.
<div>
tada -----Willy Happy
</div>

Collapse -
HD
by qngo91 / October 21, 2011 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Look it over

its a seagate barracuda that's sata st310005n1a1as 7200 rpm. i had it partitioned for windows 7. But that was basically it. i have it connected to the sata 3.0gbs. I never had this problem before when i built a computer. but then again it has been like 3 years. I was thinking maybe its a faulty harddrive? I didnt use the power adapter cable that came with the hdd. just the one that came directly from the psu. When i start bios, it detected and selected my hdd as the primary boot automatically. So i don't know why it pops up the Marvell 5.0gbs adapter AHCI mode no hdd detected. I looked at bios for anything that had to do with those sata ports. and it just said for the hdd and my dvd drive, hotplug disabled.

Collapse -
Go into the BIOS and look for a Marvell controller
by Steven Haninger / October 21, 2011 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: HD

and disable it. This issue is noted elsewhere on the web with some ASUS boards. ASUS uses these as well as J Micron for extra SATA controllers such as for RAID and eSATA. If you're not using them, you disable them.

Collapse -
Thanks
by qngo91 / October 22, 2011 3:30 AM PDT

Yea disabling it got rid if that screen.

Collapse -
Answer
Check and verify
by Willy / October 20, 2011 1:23 PM PDT

Recheck your work. You provide no details, so that's about it. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Computer says can't find harddrive but it just starts window
by Brechan / October 22, 2011 5:54 AM PDT

I built my own PC using an ASUS mobo; the message you are seeing comes from one of the drivers included on the disc that came with the mobo (or from the ASUS support site), basically it's the driver for the E-SATA port on the back of the I/O shield.

If you don't have an external drive connected (via an E-SATA cable), then you will see this message. On the other hand; if you have an external drive connected, you will see a message stating the manufacturer/ type (SATA II/ SATA III) / size (1TB or whatever the size of the drive is)/ and connection status.

If you have an external drive; and have turned off the power to the drive (for whatever reason), then you will see the original message " No Drive Detected".

I hope this helps.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!