HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer say harddrive is nearly full when it's not.

by Medicatedsoap / July 30, 2009 2:31 PM PDT

Alrighty, so this problem started a while back. A good month or so ago, I was surprised to find that I had something like 5 GB left on my 142 GB hard drive, though considering I did have a few .avi's and a large ammount of music I wasn't overly surprised. After deleting a ton files, I was at 17 GB. Not a lot, but manageable. A week or so later, even after only adding a few new albums to my computer, I was mysteriously back at an incredibly low amount of GB.

I downloaded that Treesize program. It says my C Drive has 62,759 MB (which I've calculated to be around 61 GB?) of free space. That's 80 GB unaccounted for and I really need it. I'm sure Treesize isn't perfectly accurate, but that's a lot of free space to mysteriously have vanished. The largest folder is, of course, my music folder. But it's only 31 GB.

I need any advice. Really, any ideas are WELCOME. Especially from people who've had this problem before. I've downloaded a program called CleanUp! and used Windows Clean Up program or whatever, but it's just giving me small ammounts of space. Something else is up here. :/ Something is using well over half of my computer's space.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer say harddrive is nearly full when it's not.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer say harddrive is nearly full when it's not.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
TreeSize is accurate
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 30, 2009 7:59 PM PDT

at least more so than Windows Explorer, but you need to understand how to 'drill down' and find the apparent missing space.

Does TreeSize list a folder called "System Volume Information"? It may be listed as Access is denied. If so, that holds XP's "System Restore" point backup files and these can take up a lot of disk space. You can see inside by opening Windows Explorer, (My Computer or My Documents will do), and un-hiding "Protected Operating System files" by going to Tools > Folder options, View tab.

If your XP system is otherwise working well, you 'can' delete all System Restore backup files except the latest one. Or, you can disable System Restore then immediately re-enable it. That will delete all of those backup files.

To delete all but the latest. Start > All programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Cleanup. When it has scanned the compressed files, look at the "More Options" tab.

To disable System Restore, right click My Computer, select Properties. System Restore tab, turn off System Restore, click Apply. Turn SR back on, click Apply. I would create a new SR point immediately.

Other places to look;

1] Windows > Downloaded Program files folder

2] Windows > Winsxs folder. I'm not sure if this is present on XP, (I'm on my Vista rig at the moment). If so, the forum discussion here will explain more.

3] Windows Update folders and files, usually of the form NT$Uninstall or similar. There may be a lot of these update uninstall folders, but they generally do not take up a lot of space. They can be safely moved to a backup if the system is working well.

Others here may have better suggestions.

Mark

Collapse -
Good news!
by Medicatedsoap / July 31, 2009 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: TreeSize is accurate

Good news!

Well, first unfortunatley my System Volume Information was hardly the problem. 1 GB at the most. Thanks for the advice though! Because it actually did help

I noticed a folder on my TreeSize program called 'RRbackups' (not thinking before to look for folders to which my access was denied). After a bit of research, I've found that Lenovo Thinkpad computers do complete backups of your computer every week or something. According to the five restores listed by the Thinkpad Rescue and Recovery program, they're roughly 80 GB. Sound familiar?

I'm about to delete them all, disable this from happening again, and then I'll come back to report on my amount of free space just in case someone else stumbles upon this thread with the same problem.

Collapse -
:)
by Medicatedsoap / July 31, 2009 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Good news!

And just like that, I now have 80.7 GB free. Finally.

Collapse -
Glad you found it.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: :)

80GB better off. That's nice. Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Lenovo R & R
by Steven Haninger / July 31, 2009 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Good news!

My wife's Lenovo has that utility and you should be able to burn those to DVD if you want to continue using the automatic features. Frankly, I'd turn it off. It's a resource hog as well. You can run it manually at your convenience and make DVDs as mentioned but I'd never store a complete hard drive backup on the drive I wanted to protect from disaster. If the drive fails, the backup is gone too. Good detective work.

Collapse -
Run chkdisk /f
by Steven Haninger / July 31, 2009 5:29 AM PDT

It's possible that some space shows as being in use but has no recorded owner. If so, chkdsk can recover that space. I've seen this happen.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.