General discussion

Computer's sound stops working after each reboot.

Jun 3, 2010 8:19PM PDT

Hi. I have a Windows XP SP3 computer that's now over 4 years old. Recently I started facing the problem, that is, the sound of my computer stops working after I reboot.

After each reboot, I have to go to Sys Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>Audio Controllers. There I see the following entries -

> Audio Codecs
> Legacy Audio Drivers
> Media Control Devices
> Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller

... and a few others. So, to fix the prob, after many trial and errors I found a simple method to side-step the problem.

At startup I go to the Device Manager and unistall the Realtek driver. I then scan for hardware changes, where a dialog box pops up asking for the file Audio3D.dll, which I locate in my Sys23 folder. I get a warning message but click on Continue Anyway. And that's it, the sound's back.

However having to do this after each reboot is a bit of a pain. Moreover, this PC is used by my parents, who are not so savvy as to be able to do this with ease.

So, if you know of a way to fix this problem, I'd be highly grateful to you for taking out time in helping me. Please feel free to ask further queries about my PC or anything that's needed as I'll surely come back here and reply to you.

Thank you for reading the Q.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Computer's sound stops working after each reboot.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Computer's sound stops working after each reboot.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
"I get a warning message but click on Continue Anyway.
Jun 3, 2010 8:28PM PDT

"I get a warning message but click on Continue Anyway. "

Add that warning message to your post please.
Bob

- Collapse -
Here's the screen capture of the warning
Jun 3, 2010 9:25PM PDT
- Collapse -
Also...
Jun 3, 2010 9:32PM PDT

There is no problem with the speakers at all. I use the Creative speakers with my mobile phone and they work slick. So the problem is with the drivers or something related to the computer.

- Collapse -
Can't be exact here.
Jun 3, 2010 9:37PM PDT

No make or model to work with so the usual cure is to find the latest motherboard drivers, install that, then go get the latest Realtek drivers and install that.
Bob

- Collapse -
A little more specific
Jun 3, 2010 9:59PM PDT

Please be a little more specific so as to of what do you need the make & model, and if possible it would also help if you could tell me how to go about getting it.

- Collapse -
With no make or model, finding the drivers is very hard.
Jun 3, 2010 10:06PM PDT
- Collapse -
Belarc's analysis
Jun 4, 2010 8:03PM PDT

I did as you said and analyzed my PC with Belarc but couldn't figure out anything new in the end result. Even the Belarc analysis just shows Realtek as my sound provider, no make or model info whatsoever.

Nevertheless, I've upped the analysis file so that u may have a look at it and see if you can find the elusive elements.

http://www.wikifortio.com/835048/belarc.rar

Thanks very much for all the help.

- Collapse -
I'd delete that file now.
Jun 4, 2010 10:43PM PDT

" Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. K8M800-8237 1.x "

I can safely bet you are using the onboard audio. But only you can verify this. Let's find the page for Gigabyte's drivers.

Be sure to turn off the Spybot and protection software as these drivers must have unfettered access to the registry which such protection software will restrict and you'll be no better off.

In fact if you think about it, the symptoms above are typical for machines that folk have locked down. They were never told what other side effects a protection software can have and what times you want to turn it off (such as adjusting, installing drivers.)

-> Here's gigabyte's page of drivers:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1810&dl=1#dl

Found by going to www.gigabyte.com and clicking on Support & Downloads, then searching for the GA-K8VM800M then selecting the 1.x version.

Hopefully this helps you in the future driver hunts as there are less and less folk that do this. They just tell you to get a new machine.
Bob

- Collapse -
Great Help!
Jun 5, 2010 1:26AM PDT

Thanks very much for detailing the process of how one locates drivers for a motherboard. Really great instructions you gave there. I'm currently downloading the Realtek AC97 Driver.

I have already uninstalled Spybot so that the installation file of the driver can have unfettered access to the computer. I'll get back soon after installing the drivers and let you know the status.

Thanks a lot for sticking this long. Happy

- Collapse -
Sorry...
Jun 5, 2010 3:01AM PDT

... still the problem persists. I foremost uninstalled Spybot, turned off Symantec's automatic surveillance and then installed the drivers. Except for a different type of window (the sort that comes while installing a prog) nothing else was different. I still got that Windows warning that it had not passed the test, to which I clicked Continue Anyway again.

After installation of the drivers the sound works just fine. Everything from WMP to YT videos. But I restarted the PC just to make sure, and there it went again. Don't know why, but it stopped working after the reboot.

Although, the driver entry was still shown in Device Manager without any alerts or warnings, the sound didn't work.

What should be my next step? Also, just so that you know, at startup I get that svchost.exe error with 00000 which states that the memory could not be read.

http://static.commentcamarche.net/en.kioskea.net/faq/images/0-kFUYV3rh-svchost-s-.png

Very similar to this image except in my case it states memory could not be read.

This is just FYI, because I think I should reveal everything to you so that you can guide me better. Also I've uploaded a HijackThis log so that you can go through it and see if you can find something faulty -

http://www.wikifortio.com/147223/hijackthis.log

Thanks for all the help.

- Collapse -
Ouch. So much wrong with the log file. AND THERE IT IS.
Jun 5, 2010 3:21AM PDT
Thar she blows Captain! -> Windows SteadyState Service (Windows SteadyState)

With this all changes are blocked. There it is. More below.

1. Drive D for the OS creates so many hardships. It would be a fair guess the drivers see the drive C and install there instead. This is a known bug in many drivers. And to make matters confusing it might work after install, fail later.

2. I see TOO MANY SECURITY SOFTWARES. And some like Norton that don't play well with others. Let's count HOW MANY?

D:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
D:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe

That's at least 3 and I've lost patience with the number of times this works and then doesn't work. Add to this that I've found Norton, Mcafee's "DISABLE" really doesn't work. That is we spend days on an issue then I uninstall those and the problem is solved and we then reinstall the things I removed while I work the issue.

Since when does "DISABLE" not mean DISABLE? Sorry but these companies need to do better.

3. D:\PROGRA~1\Free Download Manager\fdm.exe

Another item that is known to corrupt things.

There's more but these first three mean a machine that will be a tar pit of support. Let's hope it gets fixes someday.
Bob

4. D:\DOCUME~1\Annoz\LOCALS~1\Temp\Lnd.exe

Apps that run out of TEMP are almost always bad. TAKE GRIF'S ADVICE at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6121_102-0.html?threadID=378815&tag=forums06;forum-threads

Steady Bob
- Collapse -
Cured!
Jun 5, 2010 4:26AM PDT

Your analysis of the HijackThis log was wonderful... and spot-on!

I uninstalled Windows SteadyState, but saw that it was already uninstalled, just the entry had stuck in Add/Remove. So I went into services.msc and disabled SteadyState Service. Got rid of it there.

Next I uninstalled Comodo & Defender. No probs there.

Finally I also noticed another entry in Add/Remove which had somehow missed my attention earlier. It was an entry of C-Media Audio Drivers or something like that. Long time back I had seen C-Media in Device Manager and had got rid of it as it would definitely have conflicted with Realtek. So I uninstalled it from Add/Remove too.

And now, atleast for quite some time now, I've rebooted Windows quite a few times and still the sound works without having to do anything. Superb! Grin

Thank you very very much Mr R. Proffitt, I learnt a lot from this interaction of ours, right from how to find the correct drivers to how multiple security software conflict and block changes. Thank you very very much for taking out the time to help me out of my problem.

I see your posts many times on CNET while reading other posts but from now I'll naturally pay more attention to what you have to say! Happy Thank you! Grin

- Collapse -
You're welcome.
Jun 5, 2010 5:50AM PDT

You are part of the solution here. You worked with me to find out what was going on. That's all I can ask for. In turn I try a little harder since you are "on the team" so to speak.

-> By sharing a bit about how we find such things I hope to share with others how to avoid the service counters as well as hope others will share how to find things.

Glad it turned out fine and now that it's back and working (and I bet running a tad faster) I think you can reinstall the firewall and the antivirus. I'd still be careful with security products as when they overlap I find troubles not far behind.

Good luck!
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks A Lot!
Jun 5, 2010 5:03PM PDT

Yup, it's definitely running faster now (atleast startup). I guess all those multiple antivirus programs must be hogging the RAM. But now it's working like clock-work! And now after a day has passed since you guided me to correct the problem, when I start the PC the sound works just fine without any problems. All thanks to you!

Thanx very much and I'll follow your advice and keep only 1 anti-virus & only 1 anti-spyware/malware. And those two lucky fellas will be Symantec Antivirus & Spybot. No firewall 'coz I wasn't even using Comodo, it was just installed without any usage being done.

Also if you've been keeping track of the world news you must know that the cyclone Phet is moving around in the Arabian Sea, on India's west. Well let me tell you I live in that part of India where this cyclone's just passed, but the joy getting my PC repaired is as great as the relief that the cyclone's passed! ;P

Thank you very much for being so patient and helpful while our discussion. May you too have Good Luck in your future endeavours! Grin

CNET Forums

Forum Info