Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer Running Slow

My computer has been running very slowly lately i ran Ad Aware, spybot, Microsoft antispyware, and avast they have found no problems. My OS is XP home, i have a AMD Athlon 64 with 1.8 ghz, and 512 ram, I ran out of ideas and i am wondering if anyone has any suggestions... thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Running Slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Running Slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) have you defragged?

In reply to: Computer Running Slow

Collapse -
Computer Running Slow

What is your HDD memory status? Use Disk Cleanup, and set up for Scndsk then re-start. If you still do not have ample HDD Memory, get rid of unused programs or anything that will free up unused space. If your drive is short of space all the ram in the world will not help you. This is a major cause of slow system action.

Collapse -
What symptons?

Catfan, please explain what you mean by "running slow". In what way?

Is it slow starting up and/or closing down?
Is surfing the internet slow? (if so what sort of ISP connecton do you have?).
Is it slow opening programs? If so, what programs?
Is it slow in other ways, eg playing music or videos?

Try this;

Goto Start > Run and type in "msconfig", (without the quotes). Click OK and in the SYstem Configuration Utility click the Startup tab and look at the programs that load on startup. Some of them you may not need, and can remove the tick to stop them loading. If you need the programs later you can find them in your Start menu. If you do remove any startup items you will be prompted to restart your computer and on restart, you will get a message stating you are on selective startup. You can suppress that message in the message box if you wish.

Then look at the services that are running in the background. Right click the Taskbar, and select Task Manager. In the Processes tab see what processes are running in the background. Go here;
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
for more information on each process. You can end the process in Task Manager, or goto Start > Run, type in "services.msc", choose the Extended tab, highlight the service you want to stop, then right click it, select Properties and change the "Startup type" option.

See if any of that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Go to my post and read.

Collapse -
Computer Running Slow

I have 25 gigs filled of my 150 gig HD. I have defragged, The main time that the computer runs choppy is when i open and close problems (For exaple Internet explorer, MSN Messenger, Real player) When i play music i have to close almost every program running or the music will "skip" and double the play time. There was only one startup item i disabled. Most of my system processes checked out expect for SVCHOST.EXE (i had three or four of those running)
Thanks for all the help

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!