Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Computer Rookie-Spyware/malware help

by gideonsmith / June 22, 2008 10:32 AM PDT

Hi, I have Norton Protection Center (which includes a anti-virus/spyware ). I was wondering what other programs I need to help keep my computer clean.

I run my norton anti-virus adn spyware at least once a week, and nothing shows, but I am sure that I have some form of malware or spyware.

btw-the Norton is provided by my service provider, so Im not sure how good this is aswell.

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Rookie-Spyware/malware help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Rookie-Spyware/malware help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For Spyware \ malware you could......
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 22, 2008 11:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Spyware/malware programs ...
by gideonsmith / June 22, 2008 11:35 AM PDT

Ok. Thank you very much.

I am sorry I forgot to mention that I have Windows XP, but it looks like all those programs are ok for it.

The only other question I have, is , will any of these programs interfere with my Norton? I expect they won't, but I know very little about these things.

I thank you again for your help.

Collapse -
ALL 3 work in XP
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 22, 2008 11:40 AM PDT

I am NOT aware of ANY problems running scans with MalwareBytes AntiMalware and\or Super Antispyware.

You Are Very Welcome Wink

Collapse -
No
by Donna Buenaventura / June 22, 2008 7:34 PM PDT
In reply to: ALL 3 work in XP

"will any of these programs interfere with my Norton?"

No. MBAM and SAS will not interfere with Norton.

Collapse -
Spyware/Malware
by gideonsmith / June 22, 2008 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: No

Id like to thank you two very much. I appreciate the help.

Ive downloaded the MBAM & SAS. Should I also download the Spyware blaster as mentioned , or is this enough ?

Thank you again. Happy

Collapse -
Yes, download and install SpywareBlaster...
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 23, 2008 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Spyware/Malware

...it prevents the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.
# Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.
# Restrict the actions of potentially unwanted sites in Internet Explorer.

Happy SAFE Computing Happy

Collapse -
Another Question...
by gideonsmith / June 23, 2008 5:13 AM PDT

First thank you again for your help. Those programs did a great job cleaning/removing stuff of of my computer.

This question is in regards to my ul speed. I recently d/l a music file sharing program-and everything was fine. A couple of days ago, my ul speed dropped dramitically. It will flutcuate but still at a very slow speed.

My internet provider did a speed test and said its working like it should. I was wondering if this indicates that I have a deeper problem with my computer or some kind of real bad virus.

I thank you again for you help, and patience with my questions .

Collapse -
Run an 0n-line scan........
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 23, 2008 7:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Another Question...

to see IF it finds anything:

Please run the Housecall online virus scan located at:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Follow the prompts to scan your hard drive for viruses. Select the "Autoclean" option so that Housecall will remove any viruses from your system.
When the scan is finished, please restart your computer.

Then please run the Panda scan here:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/
Panda ActiveScan on the left .
Choose to "Disinfect automatically," and follow the prompts. Delete any viruses found, and restart your computer.

Finally, please run the WindowSecurity trojan scan here:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/
Remove any trojans found, and restart your computer.

Collapse -
Housecall
by gideonsmith / June 23, 2008 7:59 AM PDT

Hi, I cannot run housecall, everytime I get to the launching it page, the bottom of the screen says done... and theres a little caution sign at the bottom left corner aswell. Any ideas how to pass this?

Thank You .

Collapse -
Housecall..
by gideonsmith / June 23, 2008 8:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Housecall
Collapse -
Can NOT find that error.......
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 23, 2008 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Housecall..
Collapse -
Housecall
by gideonsmith / June 23, 2008 10:25 AM PDT

No I cannot, I still get the same message. Would any of my programs be making it do this?

Collapse -
Expected outcome
by Donna Buenaventura / June 23, 2008 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Another Question...

Most file-sharing program will use network and computer resources. Not recommened to use this program because it has many unwanted and malicious files in this network.

You can try removing the file-sharing program and see if your networking will be fine again.

Collapse -
File sharing...
by gideonsmith / June 23, 2008 10:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Expected outcome

I never had trouble with it, until a couple of days ago. I did uninstall the program, but I could not tell if the uploading was any better since I could not know if anyone was uploading off of me.

I assumed that I a virus thru web searches.. but I really have no idea. Is there any other way I could get a housecall scan or will my computer just not allow it.

I thank you for all your help again. Happy

Collapse -
I have tried Housecall here but I'm using their beta
by Donna Buenaventura / June 23, 2008 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: File sharing...
Collapse -
Housecall
by gideonsmith / June 23, 2008 8:23 PM PDT

Interestingly I cannot use that Housecall either, nor the Panda or Kaspersky one that was suggested. I am perplexed by this, though to be honest, I have no idea what any of these "script" things mean. Any other suggestions would be great appreciated. Happy

I will give the eset, a try, as it seems I can use this.

Thank you once again .

Collapse -
Would suggest downloading HJT.........
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 23, 2008 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Housecall
Collapse -
forget u r many problems
by ory85 / June 23, 2008 2:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
Totally Free Protection for your PC
by putergoddess / June 28, 2008 12:14 AM PDT

Ok..First off. Uninstall Norton's. It used to be the best ..but has degraded over time and now is just a process-sucking pain.
( you may have to use Norton's uninstall tool from their website. they Know what a pain it is)
Then, Once you've gotten it off your machine.

Download the following programs. They are All free downloads of Full functioning programs.

Download AVG 8.0 Free Antivirus. (from the AVG site) It's great and uses 1/100th of the processing power of Nortons. The updates are fast as well.

Then download SpywareBlasterFree. It runs in the background with little process useage and keeps those nasty programs from even getting On the machine.

Then download Malware Destroyer. It will clean Anything off that may be hiding on your machine. There's a lot of Malware programs out there..make sure you get Malware Destroyer FREE.

If you don't already have it...download Windows Advanced care, to get the "tuneup' characteristics of Nortons utilies and the easy "fix" button of One button scan - without the Nortons slow-down.

AGV also has a FREE Anti-Rootkit program that also takes up almost no processing power.

All of these programs are available for FREE downloads online.
They will keep your machine running virus, spyware and malware free without taking up the processing that Nortons hogs.

Collapse -
About Malware Destroyer and AVG Anti-rootkit
by Donna Buenaventura / June 28, 2008 3:27 PM PDT

Malware Destroyer is an adware:
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/malware/?Adware.Win32.EMCO+Malware+Destroyer

Free AVG Anti-rootkit has been discontinued. It's now integrated in paid editions of AVG 8 but not integrated in free AVG 8.

Other free anti-rootkit:
1. F-Secure BlackLight http://www.f-secure.com/security_center/
2. GMER by http://gmer.net
3. Panda Anti-Rootkit http://research.pandasecurity.com/archive/New-Panda-Anti_2D00_Rootkit-_2D00_-Version-1.07.aspx
4. RootAlyzer BETA http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24185
5. RootkitRevealer http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Security/RootkitRevealer.mspx

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!