Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer resumes from standby mode right after it entered

I don't know whether it is a hardware problem or software problem. My PC mysteriously resumes from standby mode like 3 or 4 seconds after it enters it. I unplugged all the devices except a keyboard and I even switched the keyboard with another one just in case it's broken, but the computer still resumes itself. It's just weirdest thing ever happened to my PC.
My system is a windows XP, geforce 6800gs, abit al8-v motherboard and a OCZ 520w powersupply.
Does anyone have any idea why this happens? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer resumes from standby mode right after it entered
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer resumes from standby mode right after it entered
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That happens to me when...

In reply to: Computer resumes from standby mode right after it entered

I leave a video file on pause, and my player is set to disable the screensaver so as not to disrupt my viewing enjoyment.

There's probably some software program running that's disrupting this. The fun part will be figuring out which one it is. I'd boot into safe mode, and then start the programs you normally have running one by one. After starting each one, try to put the system into standby until you find the one that kicks it back out.

If it's not any programs you run, then it would probably be time to check for viruses and spyware/malware. Trojans and keyloggers could easily account for this behavior, but it's also best not to jump to hasty conclusions.

Collapse -
As Mentioned Spyware/Trojans but Also Auto Updates.....

In reply to: Computer resumes from standby mode right after it entered

which maybe trying to access web. MS update known for checking for updates every 5 minutes. Many others also including AV, clock correction software, Logitech driver software for keyboard/mouse (Backweb), Yahoo or other toolbars, MS IE Radio & other tvchannel, Adobe Acrobat/reader etc. Also anything w/ fast launch where part of the program is kept live in background to speed up opening of program.
I turn ALL to manual and do while already on net anyway. HTH! Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.