HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer restarts while watching videos in Windows media Pla

by bilirubin / November 5, 2004 6:00 AM PST

Sometimes when I watch video clips using Windows Media Player, my computer will just restart by itself, and then a window will pop up when it shows the desktop and says that Microsoft has recovered from a serious error.

What is this??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer restarts while watching videos in Windows media Pla
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer restarts while watching videos in Windows media Pla
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Computer restarts while watching videos in Windows media
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 8:20 AM PST

Does WIndows Media Player crash "everytime" you use it?

EG can you play mp3's in it, or any other movie files?

If it crashes all the time, I would suggest you uninstall it through COntrol panel > Add/Remove programs, reboot your computer then visit Microsoft's web site to re-download and install it.

Mark

Collapse -
by bilirubin / November 8, 2004 11:26 AM PST

Mark,

Not every time I use it, but sometimes, movie files (usually mpgs or mpegs) can cause it to restart. The mp3s and everything else plays fine.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 8, 2004 7:03 PM PST

Try the problem movies in a different player. This may tell you if the movie is corrupted, or WMP is corrupted or there is something wrong with XP.

Zoom Player is a good all purpose player, (Google it to find it to free download), but by no means the only one.

I would suggest that the movies that crash need a codec that you don't have, but I'm not sure that incorrect or missing codecs would reset your PC. Normally you just get an error message within WMP.

Mark

Collapse -
''Computer restarts'' if told to do so.
by Cursorcowboy / November 8, 2004 10:12 PM PST
my computer will just restart by itself, and then a window will pop up when it shows the desktop and says that Microsoft has recovered from a serious error.

1. The article [Q308427] states that an "event" is any significant occurrence in the system or in a program that requires users to be notified or an entry be added to one of three logs that can help identify and diagnose the source of current system problems, or help predict potential system problems.

2. The article [Q314084] describes how to gather more information about an error message using Pstat.exe, a Resource Kit utility run from the command line that gives a picture of the processes and drivers that are currently running.

3. If you identify an applicable error code, access the TechNet "Windows XP Events and Errors" page and enter either the "Source" or the "Error Code". -- the two most important items of information concerning an Event.

4. The article [Q307973] suggests that users configure the actions that Windows takes when a severe error (also called a fatal system error, or Stop error) occurs. Also, please read the article, "A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP (Q315222)," for accessing a system that will not boot normally.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.