Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer restarts when using nero to write to a dvd r/w.

by yprtb / November 5, 2007 4:24 AM PST

Hi, my computer burns things fine when using Nero, except when i try to burn to a dvd r/w or add more info to that type of disk, or erase that type pf disk. My computer simply just restarts as soon as the process starts. I have had problems with Nero before, but none this crazy. I use my dvd r/w disk to backup my data and program installers. It holds more then a flash drive, so thats why i use this. I have tried searching for updates, none were available. I have Nero versions:
Nero OEM: 6.6.1.4
NeroMIX: 1.4.0.35
Nero digital: 3.1.0.25
Nero media player: 1.4.0.35
In cd: 4.3.23.2

I have a cd r/w drive, and my second drive is a dvd r/w, cd r/w 6 in 1 do everything drive, except for lightscribe.

I have windows XP home edition with service pack 2. 2.50 GHZ processor, 760 mb of ram. all updates downloaded. I have sent an error report when my system says your system has recovered from a serious error. I have even searched and asked Nero for help, nothing was found to solve my problem. I have even reinstalled it. please give any suggestions and fixes if u can. thanks. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer restarts when using nero to write to a dvd r/w.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer restarts when using nero to write to a dvd r/w.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Those OEM versions...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2007 4:34 AM PST

Must be the ones that come with that drive. I've found problems if I use OEM versions on other than the drive it came with. Tell me about this OEM version. Did it come with the DVDRW drive?

Next a common failure occurs if the motherboard chipset drivers are old, out of date or what Microsoft notes as current. Tell us exactly which version you installed and from where.

Finally look in the EVENT VIEWER for more clues and reveal if you use any CD/DVD EMULATION software.

Bob

PS. Don't know the Event Viewer? Please read about it at google.com

Collapse -
i had the disk that came with the drive.
by yprtb / November 5, 2007 4:39 AM PST
In reply to: Those OEM versions...

and i had it installed for about a year, with the version that came with the dvd drive. Then i checked for updates, using the nero center, and it upgraded me to those versions about a year ago. just started having this problem recently.

Collapse -
also...
by yprtb / November 5, 2007 4:44 AM PST

right clicking the drive and on the driver tab it says this: _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A driver date: 7/1/2001 driver version: 5.1.2535.0 driver provider: Microsoft. hope that helps.

Collapse -
That's not the motherboard chipset driver.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2007 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: also...

To skip a lot of back and forth, I ask you follow the posting guideline which are the words in red. You answered the OEM question but not the others.

Bob

Collapse -
sry....
by yprtb / November 5, 2007 4:59 AM PST

Next a common failure occurs if the motherboard chipset drivers are old, out of date or what Microsoft notes as current. Tell us exactly which version you installed and from where.
um, i don't know what u mean by this.

Finally look in the EVENT VIEWER for more clues and reveal if you use any CD/DVD EMULATION software.
i did, and i cant find anything in there that seems to belong to my problem. And no i don't use emulation software. My computer is a Compaq s5000NX

Collapse -
I'd look in the Event Viewer again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2007 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: sry....

Your first post is an event that would result in a log entry. The event viewer is new to most so keep trying. It certainly will not be empty unless someone disabled it.

The s5000NX has the Intel 845GL chipset, which latest XP driver is dated September 24, 2007 located at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=816&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Home+Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go%21

Most will use item 2.

This can correct some random reboots. Most owners are unaware of how important the motherboard drivers are.

Hopefully that will help and you can research more about the Event Viewer.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks,
by yprtb / November 5, 2007 5:16 AM PST

you said i should download the 2nd one on the drivers page u gave me? this one?

INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel

Collapse -
All your choice here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2007 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: thanks,

I know about motherboard chipset driver packages. Most will have a blank look when we dive into that area.

Yes, item 2.

-> There is another idea that the machine may be having heat or power issues. This is not unheard of with older machines or ones that we added more drives. I often will remove the case cover and see if the problem subsides.

Bob

Collapse -
ok thanks
by yprtb / November 5, 2007 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: All your choice here.

and like i said, i don't think it don't overheat otherwise i would be having probs not just inserting a dvd r/w disk.

Collapse -
ok i instaleld the update and then restarted the computer
by yprtb / November 5, 2007 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: ok thanks

even though i wasn't told to i restarted it after it finished installing it. No problems with boot up or anything, should i try to insert my dvd r/w disk now and try to use it? and see what happens? or should i wait and do some other things u r thinking first?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?