General discussion

Computer Restarts during gameplay

When I play a game on my computer, it will run for about 1 or 2 minutes and then flash a blue screen and restart. I've recently installed a GeForce FX 5500 OC video card on my computer. I am running windows XP pro, I have an AMD athlon 1.15ghz processor. Also, i have 1gig of RAM. I tried installing new windows updates. I also downloaded all new video drivers. I have a 320w power supply, so I don't think it's underpowered. I have also tried running the games with the cover off and it still restarts. I have written down the error message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, then select safe mode.

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x0000008E(0x0000005, 0xBF802C72,0xF2EF2C78, 0x00000000)

***win32k.sys - addressBF8C2C72 base at BF800000, datestamp 41107F7a

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Computer Restarts during gameplay
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Computer Restarts during gameplay
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Computer Restarts during gameplay

The new video card takes a lot of power! You should upgrade it to a 450w PS. John

- Collapse -
Typical of overtaxed power supplies, capacitors and heat.

Your system is typical and has been found with all three common causes. That 320 Watt PSU is unlikely to deliver 320. Get over it. They lied and didn't tell you that in just a year it lost some 25 percent of its max output capacity. There are plenty of articles about the power supply issue at http://www.tomshardware.com so I will not beat on that one anymore. Fit a 450 Watt to get out of the power shortage issue.

Heat is not an uncommon issue. Remove the case cover. Better or worse?

And look for any bulging capacitors. If so, replace the motherboard.

Other items to try. 512M RAM. Some boards note support of more, but I've found that not all are stable. If this bothers you, pester the place that sold you the machine.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info