Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer Restarts Automatically!?

by mad0maxx / October 31, 2003 9:40 AM PST

I need some helps guys... my computer restarts automatically. I dunno why it does it but the thing that triggers my PC to restart automatically is when I go to Start --> Run --> regedit and then I do a search in the registry and the PC just automatically restarts everytime... My specs are

1.8 GHz AMD Athlon XP
1024 megs PC2100 Ram
80 gig HardDrive
Gigabyte VTXE+ (I think is it)
Windows XP Professional w/service pack 1
420 watt Power Supply
ATI Rage 128 (its not the video card)
Onboard Sound
SMZ EZ Nic Card

Thats all the specs I could think of... any suggestions is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance...

Daniel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Restarts Automatically!?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Restarts Automatically!?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Anything special happening before or during restart?
by Keith Marcotte / October 31, 2003 9:42 AM PST

Collapse -
Re:Computer Restarts Automatically!?
by mad0maxx / October 31, 2003 9:44 AM PST

Oh yeah... I am not running any firewall or anti virus programs... I do not have anything running in the background of the computer when I do a search in the registry... so nothing else is running but regedit

Collapse -
"I am not running any firewall or anti virus programs.."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2003 9:51 AM PST

Please visit the Security Forum and get some help.

Also, try that with one stick of ram as a test.

Bob

Collapse -
Security Forum?!
by mad0maxx / October 31, 2003 9:53 AM PST

How would the security forum help? I mean I am having a problem with the computer automatically restarting when searching the registry... but I will try the ramtest... which I don't think it could but but don't know till I test it...

Collapse -
Humor him
by Keith Marcotte / October 31, 2003 9:59 AM PST
In reply to: Security Forum?!

Sometimes malware doesn't like you using regedit and stops you from using it. Until you check your PC for viruses and spyware, how will we know if that is the problem or not? The problem could be physical (memory) or software (corrupt system files) as suggested in other posts or it could be malware.

I might be biased though. I am a mod in the Security forum.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Computer Restarts Automatically!?
by David Chan / October 31, 2003 9:53 AM PST

"...I am not running any firewall or anti virus programs..."

Why no antivirus protexction when you can d/l Free AVG?
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

You should also scan your PC for parasite.
Follow the links in Bob's post and do a full scan and let us know if your PC is free of parasite.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=1375&messageID=15727

Your sudden reboot could be due to a corrupt system file since it happens when you try and use RegEdit.
Try running System File Checker to replace any corrupt system files.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Computer Restarts Automatically!?
by mad0maxx / October 31, 2003 9:59 AM PST

Ok, doing the System File Scan... I totally forgot about that... I think it did find some files it needed to replace since it needed my XP CD... but I don't have a anti virus program running because they interfere with alot of my gaming and e-mails so whenever I suspect I have a virus I use panda software...

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

I also use AdAware Professional

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Collapse -
Why not install a virus scanner...
by Keith Marcotte / October 31, 2003 10:01 AM PST

but disable it from running in real-time mode while gaming. Schedule regular scans with up-to-date virus defs. Best of both worlds.

Collapse -
Trouble with checker
by BasicGal / May 28, 2007 11:09 AM PDT

I am also having the same trouble and tried running the Sytem File Check. When I did it I got the message You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the Windows File Checker. I am logged on as the administrator. Any ideas?

Collapse -
"I am not running any firewall or anti virus programs.."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2007 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Trouble with checker

If this doesn't apply to you, please start your very own new discussion at this link -> http://forums.cnet.com/5204-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5

Clink on the Create a New Thread.

If you are not running a firewall + antivirus, please use the former advice since it's still good.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: pcpitstop.com
by mad0maxx / October 31, 2003 10:01 AM PST

I use that site alot... great site.... (pcpitstop.com)

Collapse -
So you're saying that ....
by Keith Marcotte / October 31, 2003 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: Re: pcpitstop.com

your PC has no viruses or spyware? Then I guess it's time to start checking system files and memory. System files would probably be more likely if it only happens during regedit.

Collapse -
Sys Files and Ram Test...
by mad0maxx / October 31, 2003 10:09 AM PST

Yeah I still have not done the RAM test yet... but I have done the system files check and the SFC /scannnow is suppose to go through without the CD if there are no errors but it required me to have the CD so I think it was a file problem... but I'll still the ram test... any good programs to check ram consistancy?

Collapse -
Re:Sys Files and Ram Test... Try one stick at a time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2003 10:29 AM PST

It's been sniffing it out around here.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for all the help you guys!!!
by mad0maxx / October 31, 2003 10:31 AM PST

Thanks for all the help you guys!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

VIDEO

Do you have Google Home?

If you don't like the stock appearance of Google Home, here are two quick and easy ways to make it truly yours.