Question

Computer Restarts

It is win 7 with updates. I built it a little over a year ago. It restarts all by itself. The event viewer shows a kernel error and improper shutdown, No help there to me. It may restart once or maybe twice a day or not at all but It happens too often and started a while back.

I have checked temp using Sisoft sandra but its not overheated. The only
thing unusual to me was the power supply fan seems to kick in twice,
Its done that since it was new. It still does it at times but not
always.

The Power supply is a Fatality 550 w. The amd processor is low watts and
so is the video card. The P/S is more than ample. More than anything
I'm just looking for ideas or a direction. I don't like the idea of
replacing stuff just to see if it works. I don't know if ram or memory
error could cause something like this? Any help is appreciated.

Rod

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Computer Restarts
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Computer Restarts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Normal

It automatically restarts when it gets updated.

- Collapse -
Answer
Looks to me like you are getting

a BSOD and the system is shutting down and reloading so fast you do not see the BSOD. To check, right click on computer and chhose properties, in the left hand column select Advanced system settings, in Startup and recovery under System failure remove the tick from Automatically restart OK back out and see what happens. Next time you get a Kernel error it will cause a BSOD and you can start trouble shooting. It will most likely be Ram failure or Graphics driver or some other driver. Read the error message carefully.

Be sure to use antistatic precautions when handling Ram as failure to do so can cause intermittant failure of memory chips

Hope This Helps

- Collapse -
No tick

Thanks for your help, however the box was not checked. My graphics card is a ATI HD 5670 and the driver is current 5/9/2011. After checking the event viewer it appears this happens about every 6 days. Then it may be once or twice in the same day. I know little about the viewer but will it show if Ram failed. I run mem test long ago, no reason, I just tested to check Ram. I try to stay on top of Drivers but can't be sure all are current. With my old XP PC I subscribed to driver and updates through CNET but I don't know if that is still available. Anymore thoughts? Thanks

- Collapse -
Then you'll have to find the cause in Event Viewer.
- Collapse -
The cause is not shown?

I have checked its kernel error 41 but the values are 0 and not in sleep mode since it happens while using the computer.

Thanks

- Collapse -
Did you check ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

It tells about details you didn't mention. Error 41 means a startup after not shutting down. That fits your description. Is there any information about the previous event, the BSOD?

From that article I gather it can be hardware or software. You can exclude a software issue (including drivers) by going back to factory conditions (system recovery from the system recovery disk or partition, or a clean install of Windows 7 + original drivers). If it works then, gradually go ahead.
If it still fails, it can be any hardware issue.

Kees
- Collapse -
I've read the link before

Read it before I posted here. Its an exact script of my problem. I'll include the complete error below. I hope it ok to do that. Meanwhile I found a problem with 1 of my USB mass storage devices. I think this happened well after my problem started. I need a solution of course. Problem is the driver will not install. I uninstalled the driver and tried to reinstall, It still has an error.

Would an internal Card reader be considered a mass storage device? I had a problem with it last month. The only other device, outside of keyboard and mouse on USB is an external storage drive. It works fine so that leads me back to the card reader since it failed to read a card.

Here is the error generated in the event viewer, it has several of them -- they are all the same.

Log Name: System
Source:
Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 6/1/2011 5:44:54 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Rod-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly
shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped
responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event Xml:
<Event
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider
Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power"
Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated
SystemTime="2011-06-02T00:44:54.592835000Z" />

<EventRecordID>173993</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4"
ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Rod-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18"
/>
</System>
<EventData>
<Data
Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data
Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data
Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data
Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data
Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data
Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data
Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

- Collapse -
There's a fine clue.

"stay on top of drivers"

There is some thought that when a machine is working, we stop fixing it.
Bob

- Collapse -
Is there a way to --

Get the current info on all drivers? Does cnet or someone have a program that checks? There are a ton of drivers, keeping all current is quite a task.

- Collapse -
That's what breaks most machines.

Sorry if I was unclear. Most of the moderators seem to favor a working set of drivers versus "all current."
Bob

CNET Forums