Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer restarts

I've read other posts, and have not come to a conclusion.

I have a Compaq Presario, running widows XP.

I had used the computer Tuesday morning with no problems. My daughter used the computer and all of a sudden it just restarted, she said. By the time I got home at 2, she said it happened a few times.

We did the round robin to try to find out what happened. Of course she said , Nothing!, I was only on myspace. Both my husband and I said after looking at her, said you must have clicked on something. No, I swear she said.

I checked the history on all the log ins. Nothing unusual. I did a system restore. Ran Adaware and Spybot. Tried to run the AVG and it decided to restart.

Did a disk cleanup and then ran the AVG and this time it finshed. It found nothing. That was done running Wednesday morning. It still seemed weird though, so, we disconnected the cable, and left the computer off all day.

Get home from work, turn it on, plug cable back in. Everything seems fine till this morning. Monitor goes black. No signal pops up. Green light still on, on the tower. Still green a minute later. Turn on and off the monitor. Still black and light still green. Manually turn tower off. Wait 30 seconds. Turn back on. Happens again. Turn it off again. Wait. Turn on, run Adaware again.

Have to come to work, so I can't proceed any further.

So, if anyone has any clue as to why these things are happening, I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.
C

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer restarts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer restarts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Computer reboots

In reply to: Computer restarts

It sounds an awful lot like an overheating problem. Unplug the computer from the wall and open the case. Carefully using a can of air, clean out the built up dirt from inside the case, and from the fins on the CPU heatsink.
Try this first and see if it solves your problem.

Collapse -
Tried it. Didn't work.

In reply to: Computer reboots

My husband did as you said and even used the vacuum. He prefers that to a can of air. It has since restarted twice. As of this moment anyway.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
C

Collapse -
If The Machine No Longer Boots...

In reply to: Tried it. Didn't work.

...and you get nothing but a black screen when attempting to start it up, then the hard drive may have gone south. So please explain what you're seeing now.. You state that it "restarted twice". Does the computer boot up or not.

A faulty HD would clearly explain the restarting symptoms you received earlier and tie them together with a black screen later on ..

Either way, make sure you have good backups of your important files.. Make copies to a DVD,CD, or an external hard drive.. Next, please let us know what type of recovery media you have.. A Recovery partition only? Recovery discs can generally be created on Compaq computers.. Have you done so?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
It restarts

In reply to: If The Machine No Longer Boots...

I guess what you could say is that it goes into shut down mode, then starts up again. This was not doing this until one week ago.

Now, the day or two before he cleaned it, the monitor would go black and the tower would still be on, but it hasn't done that since then.

We do have an external hard drive and I have him do all that since I can't seem to figure out how to use it. Give me something complicated, I have no problem with that. But anyway. I will have him do that.

And I thank you for your help.

Thanks.
C

Collapse -
To Possibly Stop Those Shutdowns...

In reply to: It restarts

..do this:

RIGHT click on "My Computer" on your desktop, select "Properties", then click on the "Advanced" tab, then click on the "Settings" button in the "Startup and Recovery" section.. Look in the "System Failure" section and UNCHECK the box that says: "Automatically Restart". Click on OK, Apply, OK, etc.

This should stop the computer from restarting when there are errors on the system.. Unfortunately, if there ARE errors on the system, you will start to see blue screens and other such things but it won't automatically restart.. Still, those blue screens and error messages should give you a clue as to specific problems areas.

AFter performing the step above, seeing as your daughter was using the computer prior to having these problems, please follow the steps below to download and run a good malware scanner.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Grif!

In reply to: To Possibly Stop Those Shutdowns...

Will do all you suggested and hope everything works. Will keep all posted.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Thanks.
C

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.