Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer restarts

by pinopino / June 11, 2007 6:55 AM PDT

Every time I enter the pictures folder on my cellphone.
It's quite annoying actually, so, if anyone knows what might cause this, please say so.

I run win xp and have a nokia phone. all other folders on the phone seem to me accessable, but this one, and all non phone folders aswell. This would indicate a phone problem, but for old times sake I blame windows...
Thanks.
Also, if there are other alternatives to windows explorer that would be a very efficient way to find out if there is any blame to be guided towards windows...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer restarts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer restarts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Best guess
by jackson dougless / June 11, 2007 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Computer restarts

There's a corrupted thumbnail or image on your phone that's tripping up Explorer. That's why it's only that directory that causes problems.

Collapse -
good
by pinopino / June 11, 2007 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Best guess

so, remove everything in there, and it's good?
I'll try, but it's hard to remove things without seeing them.
dos?

Collapse -
how
by pinopino / June 11, 2007 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: good

can I figure out which picture is faulty without restarting the computer?
I moved the pictures to my hd using the dos move command, was no problem, so I expect you're right.
thanks alot

Collapse -
It could be the Thumbnail option
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 11, 2007 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: how

If Windows Explorer is trying to display the Thumbnail of a corrupted image it may crash.

Options:

In any other folder that you can open, change the settings to show File or Details, but not Thumbnail or Filmstrip. Then goto Tools > Folder Options, View tab, and Apply this setting to all folders. Test it on the folder where the images are held.

If the images are stored in a dedicated Photo folder where the settings are set as Thumbnail as default, use DOS to move them to a non-system folder.

Then its a question of working through each file to see which one is corrupted. Either double click or use a 3rd party image editor, or Paint.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
sorry
by pinopino / October 26, 2007 5:52 AM PDT

for being so late.
Te thing is, I used dos to move the files to my hd, and every file appear to be perfectly fine. However I do still experience this problem with new pictures when I try to view them on my comp. Thus I wonder, could it be an issue with the memory card, or could even the folder be corrupted?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?