Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer restarting by itself...PLEASE HELP!!

by cyberbob_67 / September 18, 2005 3:02 PM PDT

I was running a program that i've ran on my computer probably about a 1K times (literally) about a month ago when the computer just restarted by itself. It then proceeded to stay stuck on the Windows loading screen. It entered the BIOS ok, but never loaded Windows. I just disconnected the power, turned it on again, and it loaded normally. Since then, my computer had either restarted by itself or stays stuck on the loading screen. The times when it does restart and load normally a dialog box comes up and says "Windows had recovered from a serious error."

I know it's not restarting because of malware, because i've fixed friend's computers full of spyware with that as a symptom. I'm running a 2001 Compaq computer, Windows XP SP2, 1.8GHz, 512 RAM, and recently installed an ATI Radeon 9600 video card.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer restarting by itself...PLEASE HELP!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer restarting by itself...PLEASE HELP!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What maintenance was done in 4 years?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2005 3:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sounds Like
by Themisive / September 22, 2005 6:51 AM PDT

one or other of the viruses. Give your machine a thorough scan with a good up-to-date anti-virus system, it won't hurt at the same time to run Spybot S & D and Ad-aware.

Another thing that may be the cause, have you recently upgraded the system? If so, your power supply may be insufficient for the job.

Bob was correct when he said that over time, lots of dust and lint tend to collect in the heatsinks, the best way here is to open the machine and clean off ALL the fans and heatsinks.

Let us know how you get on.

Collapse -
A Neighbor sends his regards
by kingdomofjones / September 22, 2005 10:35 AM PDT

A defective memory module may be the cause of the computers continously restarting without it seems any reason.One further thing if this is a new development,What was the last thing you did to the computer before you noticed this event occurring?Can you undue what was done at that time?That is can you uninstall what was installed prior to the onset of these problems?The neighbor is a reference to smartcomputing.com where this was discussed and recently published in one of there issues.This is in reference to the restarting issue.

Collapse -
maintenance
by cyberbob_67 / September 22, 2005 4:50 PM PDT

i've done an anti-virus scan almost daily since i got this computer. i started doing spyware scans only about nine months ago, and do those daily as well. my system usually never hangs on me, and have never had a serious virus or malware infection on this machine.

there is one thing i failed to mention, but i don't think this should really matter: i like to play games on my computer. i have about a little more than 50% of my hard drive space dedicated to gaming. that's why i wanted to get the new video card. i want to get more stuff for my computer, but i want to know why it's doing this, because i would rather spend my money fixing this problem than buying more hardware.

thanks!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?