PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Computer Reset During Bootup

by stew_77 / June 18, 2005 6:50 AM PDT

Okay, here's the problem. Computer has begun to restart during the boot sequence. The memory test passes, gets to the point where I can select how I would like to boot, I use boot windows normally, safe mode or last known good configuration and on it goes. At this point the windows loading screen appears, the little slider bar goes across a couple of times and then a flash of blue screen and back to the boot sequence.

I've had each ram module installed separately and nothing changes so I'm guessing it's not the ram. Motherboard was the original suspect but upon replacement still no go. Video card is fine. I tried another PC's HD in it and same problem.

What this leads me to believe is the CPU is probably gibbled. The new MB fluctuates detection between 2600 2000 and 1150 or something. I don't have an extra Athlon XP to test so from the information given would the CPU seem to be the culprit?

If any more details are required let me know. What do you think is the problem?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Reset During Bootup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Reset During Bootup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's with the
by Ray Harinec / June 18, 2005 8:02 AM PDT

"gets to the point where I can select how I would like to boot, I use boot windows normally, safe mode or last known good configuration and on it goes" ??? I'm not familiar with that being a normal boot item.

I think that only comes up when your system is having problems.

You told us nothing about the system that might help. What mobo, what CPU, what speed and type of memory? AMD CPU's and the FSB settings totally different than those for Intel and both differ with versions. What operating system, what were you doing when this behaviour started? How old is the system, how long did it work perfectly. When it worked perfectly what speed did it show???

The mobo detections sure look like some kind of memory problem. [could be CPU, but?]. What do you have set for the memory in the BIOS, is "by SPD" enabled or are you setting the CAS and other settings. Possibly you are using settings that the memory can't support and thus get variations in speed as the memory works correctly for a few cycles then can't keep up.

Collapse -
Okay
by stew_77 / June 19, 2005 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: What's with the

System AMD XP Barton 2600+, new MSI Delta2 MCP, 1GB PC2700, Windows XP, Geforce 5900xt, Maxtor 80gb SATA HD, NEC dvd rw and some generic floppy drive.

The boot menu is because of the problem yeah, since windows couldn't start properly it's giving me the choices of how to start, but none of them work.

The system is about 6 months old I put it together while in japan and at the time it was showing the 2600 fine (1.91 ghz or thereabouts). Worked perfectly up to about 2 weeks ago.

In the BIOS I have the standard CPU settings left as is, since this is what worked in the previous MB (Albatron NF2 MB) memory settings are left at by SPD.

Collapse -
hibernation?
by AKonny47 / June 19, 2005 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay

"gets to the point where I can select how I would like to boot, I use boot windows normally, safe mode or last known good configuration and on it goes" ??? I'm not familiar with that being a normal boot item.

I think that only comes up when your system is having problems.

that comes up when u hibernated ur pc, then tried to boot but it would finish. this problem hurt my computer for a while then it stopped.

konny

Collapse -
The new MB fluctuates
by jcrobso / June 20, 2005 3:00 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.