PC Applications forum

General discussion

Computer repair Programs like System Mecanic

by gomezy3k / October 19, 2008 4:12 AM PDT

On my old computer I started with Norton and later switched to System Mechanic, and also had Ad-Aware. Unfortunately a month ago my computer died and I got a new one. I thought about loading either Norton or System Mechanic on my new one but thought I would ask if there were any better programs out there.

I know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble so unlike the computer geek type, who can go in and delete stuff and organize stuff and tweak his computer, I need something to keep my computer running fast and clean things up and so wonder about Ad-Aware, System Mechanic, or Norton or is there some other program that I can load that will keep my computer running good.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer repair Programs like System Mecanic
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer repair Programs like System Mecanic
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 4:15 AM PDT

At the home, office, lab and on the road we have Windows 2000, XP, and now Vista without any of those titles and the machines run just dandy.

What am I missing out on here?
Bob

Collapse -
They fixed problems and supposedly kept computer running
by gomezy3k / October 19, 2008 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing.

Well they would diagnose problems and fix them and clean things up. As I said, I know very little about computers so used them to get computer to run better.

They may or may not have worked but lacking the expertise to know for sure, I figured they fixed problems...

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 4:46 AM PDT

The machines are running fine without such. Now there is that thing about "claiming" to improve or fix the registry. I'm sure they'll find something to crow about but as the machines run great I still want a good reason to install these.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Norton
by Kees Bakker / October 19, 2008 4:58 AM PDT

There's a lot of software called Norton. Like there are a lot of cars called Ford. Just saying Norton doesn't say anything.

You surely need an antivirus. Pay for Norton or Kaspersky or Panda or McAfee or Trend Micro or Norman. Or use free AVG or Avast or Avira.

Adaware hasn't been received so well, lately. If you don't have too risky sufring habits, I would start with only using Windows Defender as anti-spyware software.

There are good reports of using ccleaner (free) to keep your computer healthy and clean (primarily purges old unused fles).

And forget about registry cleaning, please.

Kees

Collapse -
Norton Utilities
by gomezy3k / October 19, 2008 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Norton

It was the Norton that had antivirus and Utilities all together... Anyway thanks for the info. As I said not being computer literate, have no idea about how to keep computer running well and fast.

Collapse -
Why not try Auslogics BoostSpeed
by Shun4rm323 / October 20, 2008 3:30 AM PDT

It however does come at a price but it does much better than Norton or System Mechanic. From experience, System Mechanic 5 was the best until 6 became slower and it kept getting worse. If you are looking for free alternatives, try Ccleaner. It does all of these programs' jobs for free and it does well

Collapse -
Thanks
by gomezy3k / October 20, 2008 8:17 AM PDT

Cool ... Thanks for the info

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?