Computer Help forum

General discussion

COMPUTER RECOVERY PROBLEMS

by bodgard / August 13, 2010 3:01 AM PDT

Hi,
I'm a 51 year old computer no-nothing. Here is my problem; Couple of months ago my desktop Compaq Presario SR 2050 NX got a vicious trojan virus. It would no longer reach the internet (my MagicJack home phone system and Skype still worked however). I contacted Norton, but, since it would not conect to the internet it was useless. I use Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. It is advisable for me to purchase a new tower and replace my hard drive. I have neither a great deal of money, or computer expertise.
Thanking whoever in advance,
Jeff

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: COMPUTER RECOVERY PROBLEMS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: COMPUTER RECOVERY PROBLEMS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This story is told daily it seems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 3:07 AM PDT

Repairing Windows after damage is very advanced work. This is why so many have learned that for most of the folk out there just reload the machine with the factory recovery media.

As to our files the moderators all know one line about that and that is "We only lose what we don't backup."

The good news is that by using the factory restore media, most of the time the machine is put back into operation.
Bob

Collapse -
COMPUTER RECOVERY
by bodgard / August 13, 2010 3:28 AM PDT

Hi,
This is the problem however, the discs I made back in '06 when I first set up the computer. It asks for the second Recovery disc to be put in the machine and everytime I do it spits it back out and states "Not the requested disc".
I'm at a loss.
j.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: COMPUTER RECOVERY

I missed that item in your post above.

Did you try the other method? As you boot up you push the f11 key. It should offer a menu to restore it back to factory settings. It could be another key but that's the one I read about.

The rejection of disk 2 is also noted if the DVD drive is too old or the hard disk has failed. Not uncommon to have to replace either at 4 years.
Bob

Collapse -
COMPUTER RECOVERY PROBLEMS
by bodgard / August 13, 2010 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Appeciate the response. Do you feel it is in my best interest to replace the hard drive or go out and purchase a new tower.
thanks,

j

Collapse -
I don't see why a new hard disk is needed yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 4:04 AM PDT

Did you try the F11 restore yet?

And a virus or trojan rarely has use replace the hard drive or machine.
Bob

Collapse -
If the hard drive is not trashed
by lacsr / August 13, 2010 9:19 PM PDT

(in other words, still working) replacing the drive will only further aggravate you as the Recovery Media is being rejected on the Restore process.

Collapse -
combofix
by SvenStation / August 14, 2010 12:16 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.