General discussion

Computer randomly shuts down

Hi I have an HP 754n that tends to randomly shut down. I've ran both AVG and Ad-Aware and have deleted any viruses present but my computer still randomly shuts down. Sometimes it cannot be restarted for a few min or a few days. Sometimes when it starts up I get a blue screen with the message "the type of file system is: NTFS one of your disks needs to b checked for consistency". when my computer does in fact start it may shut down immediately or after several min.
here are my system specs: 2.53 GHz Intel Pentiam 4 processor
512 MB DDR SDRAM memory
80GB hard drive
Windows XP

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Computer randomly shuts down
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Computer randomly shuts down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Seems common

When you say it shuts down, do you mean it powers off or that Windows shuts down? If it powers off, a common cause is overheating due to build up on fans and more specifically the heat sink/fan assembly which cools the CPU. Have you kept up with cleaning these areas? If not, that's where I'd go first. I could think that abrupt shut downs while processes were running could cause the messages you are seeing. Windows likes to complete a shutdown process before power is removed and sudden shut downs can cause data corruption.

- Collapse -

the computer sounds like it turns off, but then the screen goes black but the computer is still running. I have cleaned the fans and my case stands open

- Collapse -
lt's start at the beginning
- Collapse -

I'm not sure how to even use that powerful software but my computer is solid, I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the hardware, just which piece

- Collapse -
have you tried adjusting

your power options (Start-Control Panel-Systems and Maintenance-Power Options-change when the computer sleeps)

- Collapse -
I'm going to agree with the hardware diagnosis

given that your original post said you have to wait a few minutes or a few days before it restarts. No virus or malware is going to do this. You're more likely to have a power supply issue or the often cited "bad caps" malady. Perhaps if you could ID your motherboard, someone here more experienced with that issue could tell whether boards of that make and vintage were suspect. Shorted capacitors will produce additional power loads that can cause power supplies to shut down.

One more suggestion if I might. Nothing personal but please don't use ... (periods) as your subject. People need bigger targets to see and click on if they want to read your posts.

- Collapse -
thanks

i replaced my cooling fan today and the problem seems to be gone, thanks every one Happy

- Collapse -
(NT) Which 'cooling fan' are you referring to ?
- Collapse -
Fan

The lower one 120mm x 25mm

CNET Forums

Forum Info