Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

computer problems

by pwclark63 / May 2, 2004 3:30 AM PDT

I have a Compaq Presario with windows '98, It is a few years old. Basically have had probems from day one. Computer is freezing up more often in last 6 months to point of having to shut down several times a day (if able). Built in tech and Maintiance wizard does not fix problem in the long term. Can anyone help me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:computer problems (older machine...)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2004 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: computer problems

Try this one.

As the years pass, the CPU fan blows air across the heatsink. The heatsimk collects a layer of insulating lint and the higher CPU temp can cause a wide variety of unhelpful error messages. Fix? Clean off the lint. Test? Try it without the case cover to see if it runs longer.

Other fun items? Parasites. I don't allow such on my machines. Read -> http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

Bob

Collapse -
Re:computer problems
by Cursorcowboy / May 2, 2004 9:27 PM PDT

1. Computer is freezing up more often in last 6 months to point of having to shut down several times a day (if able).

When this freezing happens, describe 1) what program w/version information is being used at the time on the computer; 2) give logical information of the devices by name, model number, connection type, and manufacturer used during this phase; and 3) background programs (Systray/MSCONFIG), resources used/available, hard drive space available, video resolution, and etc.

2. Built in tech and Maintiance wizard does not fix problem in the long term.

Explain what these tech and Maintiance wizards are which supposedly fixes it somewhat so we may know what you're doing to get some relief. From this, we may understand the area or what could be the culprit.

Collapse -
Re:Re:computer problems
by pwclark63 / May 7, 2004 2:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:computer problems

ok to do the best I can in giving the information requested. But bare with me, I am not the one who normally takes care of this, my husband is away so I am doing the best I can. Thank you.

1) I have a Compaq Presario computer, windows 98 came with the machine. On back of the machine is:
INPUT: -100-127/200-240V 60/50 H2 4.0/2.0A NOM
on code sticker:
WRA 9 1008-3 3h9act9e80k1 or maybe l for last letter/#

doesn't seem to matter if I am running windows or on internet, when it decides to stop it stops.

I did as Bob said, to blow dust off inside of machine made sure that all internal fans were dust free to the best of my ability. Still freezes up.

Lately when on internet leaving, let's say mail, and going here as I tried yesturday, could not leave where I was when I did the next sight, which was here, automatically would scroll to bottem and not let me get back to the top of the page. Or the page would bounce up and down and not stop.

I hope I explained that ok.

next time I will tackle 2nd part of question.
Thank you
Pam

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:computer problems
by Cursorcowboy / May 7, 2004 9:52 PM PDT

1. The article [Q175148] explains that when scrolling through IE Web pages or through mail headers or mail messages with OE, the computer may stop responding (hang) and can occur when using certain video cards. Method 2 and Method 3 could be appropriate for any type video adapter card or drives causing hangs. Use this procedure regardless to see if the anomaly is corrected.

2. The article [Q276393] provides information to help diagnose and resolve issues when an unrecoverable error -- also known as user-mode (fault or exception) message. Note: it is hightly suggested the steps outlined in this article be used and followed for each segment of troubleshooting.

3. The article [Q275543] describes known issues that may cause an Invalid Page Fault error message. Note: This article provides an extensive list of known issues for troubleshooting.

Collapse -
Re:computer problems
by mfb52 / May 7, 2004 9:54 PM PDT

I recently had the opportunity to work on a Compaq Pressario (series 5000) that had a tendency to freeze-up. What I noticed was that Compaq has too many programs running in the background for the 128 megs of RAM that came with the computer.

What I did was increase the amount of RAM to 256 megs (another 128 meg card). I then saved all important (personal) files to a CD and did a factory restore using the restore disk that came with the machine. After the restore, I went to add/remove programs in control panel and removed all (and I mean all) programs pertaining to Compaq (the support wizards, BackWeb (a background downloading tool), the Compaq Internet connection wizard, even McAfee antivirus (I?m a fan of Norton)). Being an older computer, the warranty was expired and the online support thru their wizard was non-existent.

Next, I did a Windows Update. I use a broadband connection and the update didn?t take long. If you use dial-up, this will take awhile. After updating Windows, I installed Norton SystemWorks, which includes Norton?s Antivirus. I updated SystemWorks using their LiveUpdate feature. After this update, I ran SystemWork?s One Button Checkup feature. This repaired any registry anomalies created by the uninstalling of the Compaq programs.

Finally, I installed and ran both Ad-aware and Spybot S&D, eliminating everything they found to be in the system.

The only program I let run in the background was Norton Antivirus. I do not use auto-update features of any programs. Auto-updates run constantly, using the system resources. I update programs manually, at least once a week.

I ended up with a cleaner, more ?generic? Pressario than I started with, but it didn?t seem to freeze-up anymore. Good luck.

Collapse -
Re:Re:computer problems
by mfb52 / May 7, 2004 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:computer problems

A final note. After I cleaned up the system, I put the restore disk back in and re-booted. I believe it was option 2 that allowed for the creation of a backup of the cleaned-up version. So, in the future, if there?s a problem, I can restore back to the cleaned-up version and not the factory version.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!