Computer Help forum

General discussion

computer problem

i have a emachines t5026 with upgradeed pci graphics card. anyways recently ive been having problems with random restarts. also ive been having problems starting the computer up. when i start up, there would be 3 long beeps and the screen wont turn on, keyboard lights are off and it just basically stalls. please help me find the cause of this problem. thnks very much

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IIRC

In reply to: computer problem

Three long beeps at startup is the error code for an improperly seated add-in card. Crack open the case, and firmly press down on each and every PCI/AGP card in the system. Odds are real good you'll feel one of them slide into place just a little bit, and that will be the end of your problems.

And if you want the detailed technical answer as to what's happening. As your computer warms up, the parts inside start to expand. This makes for just enough of a gap that the card pops out of the slot far enough to cause problems. When it reboots suddenly, it's likely do to a bit of current jumping to the wrong connection point and causing a failsafe to kick in to prevent damage.

One thing to note, is that heat buildup is another major cause of random reboots. So if the rebooting persists, try running the system with the case off to see if the increased air flow does anything.

Collapse -
re:

In reply to: IIRC

today was horrendous. my computer wouldnt pass windows startup. it would get to the welcome screen then restart. this happened like 20 times before it finally started up. even in safe mode it didnt start up. i dont trhink its the gfx card as i put in a different one. i uninstalled the old nividia card completely(removed driver) b4 i installed the ati card. i also tried adding 512mb ram. im thinking its a defective ram stick or hd problem

Collapse -
wrong user

In reply to: re:

ignore that its damasta, its me nerdyboy

Collapse -
3 beeps

In reply to: re:

My guess is you have Award bios. Although I can't say for sure and usually if graphics card it's 1 long 3 short or close. 3 beeps is usually the first 64k mem and\or you may have a bit of a motherboard problem. Take out one stick of ram at a time, if first stick, replace with second, boot. If second stick just take it out leave first stick in. If you can boot you know it's a bad stick. If not, it may be a chip on the Mobo.

Paul

Collapse -
(NT) my reply is at nerdboy

In reply to: 3 beeps

Collapse -
thnx for all the replies

In reply to: my reply is at nerdboy

anyways im just hoping that the restarts will go away. here is my computers configuration from b4, 2 256mb ram and fx5200 gfx card. what i did today was just left the 256 there and added 512 to a 3rd slot so 3/4 slots is filled, i think this got rid of dual channel but i dont think it makes a difference. ialso switched to an older gfx card, ati radeon 9200. hopefully this fixes everythin. if not, i'll probably get a new computer when vista comes out. also somethin weird about specs in my computer>controlpanel>system, it shows 2 cpu speed, 3.06ghz and 3.07 ghz then it shows .97gb ram. however, i dont have a hyperthreading cpu so y does it show 2 speeds? im not sure if cnet allows screenshots but if i could i would show u that it shows 2 speeds on the description

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.