General discussion

Computer powers up but monitor displays nothing

Okay here's a new one: I was browsing the net one day and went to a site that caused my display to freeze. It was showing a kind of static, rapidly blinking patterns and the computer wouldn't respond to the mouse or even keyboard commands, so I had to force a shutdown by holding down the power button. When I try to restart, the computer powers up and the fans run, but nothing at all shows on the monitor. The monitor's power light doesn't even respond - it stays yellow. I can't tell if Windows is starting or not, so trying to go into safe mode is of no use. Could the graphics or display driver have gotten fried. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I have taken the hard drive out and used an external HD enclosure to connect it to the USB port of another computer, and can access all my files that way, but when I put it back in the original computer I can't see what's going on. Anybody ever had this experience?
Thanks.

Link to product specs page - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01859871&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4006071&lang=en#N62

Type: HP Pavilion p6230y Desktop PC
PRODUCT # NY549AAR#ABA
SER.# MX89450SGZ

Bundled OS: Windows (7)
Motherboard - H-RS880-uATX (Aloe)
Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 810 Quad-core
Video graphics - Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics
Memory - 8 GB installed - RAM bus / speed: DDR3RAM slots: 4 slots (total)
Storage interface: SATA
Chipset: AMDSystem bus speed: 2.6 GHz
Memory and storage (basic)
System RAM: 8 GB
Hard drive(s): 750 GB (total) Platter
Connections:
USB (rear): 2.0 (6 ports)USB (front): 2.0 (2 ports)FireWire (rear): Legacy ports: PS/2 mouse / keyboard (2 ports)
Sound/Audio - Integrated Realtec ALC888S Audio
Networking: LAN: Gigabit 10-Base-GT
802.11 Wireless a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 card
Hard drive - 750 GB
CD/DVD disc drive
SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology drive
Memory Card Reader
15-in-1 multimedia card reader
Computer Case -Mid-size ATX
Power Supply - 300W

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Computer powers up but monitor displays nothing
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Computer powers up but monitor displays nothing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
If nothing comes up on the screen ...

including the BIOS information it is a safe bet that the problem is:

1. The Monitor expired
2. The graphics card or chip has expired (this will normally result in a message on the monitor screen)
3. The monitor cord is disconnected or damaged (this too will normally result in a message on the monitor screen)
4. The screen resolution or refresh rate is not supported and thus no picture (but this will normally allow the BIOS info to show)

If the BIOS info does show trying Safe Mode will provide additional clues to the actual problem.

- Collapse -
monitor is good

I have the monitor hooked up to a different computer and it's working fine. I hooked up another monitor to the computer that "crashed" and it won't come on, so obviously there must be something up with the graphics card, right?

- Collapse -
Might be in warranty.
- Collapse -
'nother suggestion, Swap monitors

Can you get around another computer? Try this monitor on different computer. Try different monitor known to work on this Pavilion. Might prove where the problem is.

- Collapse -
monitor is good

Thanks for the suggestion. I have the monitor hooked up to a different computer and it's working fine. I hooked up another monitor to the computer that "crashed" and it won't come on, so obviously there must be something up with the graphics card, right?

- Collapse -
Yes, you are entirely right.

I have an ATI Radeon HD 4350 processing GDDR2 type of video/graphics RAM and yours is a slightly lower in graphics/video processing quality.

You need a much newer card that processes GDDR3 type of video/graphics RAM. So, incompatibilities in RAM uses is now, obvious.

Did you hear a loud Beep when powering up that machine. If it does, then you are right again as to assume that the machine is not "crashed" at all. No video/graphics rendering , at all, only.

Hope you get around this little configuration mishap, soon enough. Happy

- Collapse -
Time to try another graphics card.

But first I would see if it works in Safe Mode so you can check if there's any error in Device Manager with the drivers. If none (which seems likely) it's the hardware.

As it's integrated on the motherboard, your options are limited:
1. replace the motherboard
2. add a 'real' graphic card
If you still have warranty HP will choose #1. If out of warranty, #2 is the best, I think.

O, and don't believe anything of "incompability in RAM" as Luc says in the post above. That's his usual nonsense.

Kees

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info